The Girl Who Rocks Rainbow Like No Other: Jojo Siwa’s Coming Out Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Jojo Siwa could be the spokesperson for rainbows and sparkles. From the moment she graced us with her presence on Dance Moms, Jojo has been all glitz and glamour. I was never a fan of her music, but I have always loved her exuberant personality and scintillating wardrobe. I follow her on Tiktok and Instagram which is how I got the exciting newsーJojo Siwa is out of the closet and has a girlfriend!

Unlike the big bows and sparkly attire, Jojo came out of the closet in a relatively normal way. Here is the timeline of Jojo Siwa’s coming out story.

multicolored LED heart on wall
iamjiroe

First, on January 20,  Kent Boyd (@kentboyd) posted a Tiktok of Jojo Siwa and a few others dancing to the song “Ain’t It Fun” by Paramore. Kent Boyd has been part of the LQBTQ+ community for quite some time now. Included in the caption of the Tiktok, Kent Boyd tagged the Pride House LA.

On the same day, she posted a video on Tiktok on January 20. In the video, she is singing along to Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” song with rainbow lights in the background. People immediately started commenting on the Tiktok. Avery Cyrus (@averycyrus) commented, “If this is what I think it is, we accept you of course,” and Spencer (@spencewuah) commented, “Welcome to the family Jojo.” At this point, Jojo didn’t explicitly come out, but between her rainbow bow, multicolored hoodie, rainbow lights, and song choice, many made accurate assumptions.

Next, on January 22, Jojo tweeted a picture of a shirt that read “Best. Gay. Cousin. Ever.” with a caption saying, “My cousin got me a new shirt.” Again, she didn’t explicitly come out, but it could be assumed with almost exact certainty. 

January 25, Jojo posted another Tiktokーwhich was a shortened version of her Instagram Live videoーthanking all of her fans for their love and support. This is when she officially and explicitly came out. Her caption said, “Love is Universal *rainbow emoji* I’m so happy right now. The love and support during this time of my life is UNREAL. Thank you *heart emoji*.” 

On February 3, Jojo Siwa was a guest star on Jimmy Fallon. This is when she confirmed that she is taken and has a girlfriend.

On February 8, Jojo posted on Tiktok and Instagram both of which showed her girlfriend’s face. Her Tiktok had the audio of a small child’s voice saying “Guys, I did it. I found the person that makes me the happiest I’ve ever been.” The video was of Jojo lying on her girlfriend as her girlfriend reacted to the audio. Her Instagram post also included pictures of Jojo and her girlfriend, but it revealed that February 8, 2021 was their one month anniversary! Jojo’s Instagram caption said, “After being my best friend for over a year, January 8th, 2021 I got to start calling this exceptional human my Girlfriend… and Since then I’ve been the happiest I have ever been! She seriously is the most loving, supportive, happiest, protective, and just the most beautiful perfect person in the world. And I get to call her mine! Happy one month to my girl! I love you more and more every day!” 

Gay pride flags waving in the air
Photo by Teddy Österblom

Throughout all of this, my respect for the Queen of Bows has risen exponentially. Welcome to the club, Jojo! We are happy to have you! I can’t wait to witness your journey and see you grow into your true self.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.