element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gifts College Kids Actually Want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

With the holidays in full swing, I am constantly being asked what I want for Christmas, which is totally understandable. Gone are the days when my brother and I would flip through the large catalogs that stores would mail out (we would circle what we wanted in our respective colored pencil); now I have to think a little harder about what to put on my list and the things become more practical every year.

If you are in the same boat as me, here are some things that I have come up with, along with past gifts I have received and still use daily.

1. Tickets to a concert, sporting event, etc.: Sometimes experiences are more valuable and memorable than actual items. I sometimes have buyer’s remorse after I buy concert tickets because it’s a one-time-only thing, but I know that I will have an amazing time at the venue. Getting tickets to my favorite singer(s) would be something that I would love.

2. Coffee mugs/Travel mugs: You can never have enough, am I right?! Plus, sometimes it’s nice to have a few of both so that you can lend one to a friend if you are taking a road trip somewhere, and coffee is a must. (And maybe throw some K-cups in with this gift – you can never have too much coffee either, right? ;) )

3. Phone cases: Using the same phone case for months and months at a time can get boring, so having a few that you can rotate between is really nice. I personally drop my phone up to three times a day (I’m getting better at holding tight to it though!), so I like to use Speck or Otterbox cases. They have more protection to them, and there are so many different kinds on Amazon that you can choose from; I suggest picking out a few and sending them to your family.

4. Kwik Trip gift cards/Fuel cards: Let me just say it: gas is expensive! Having some money “set aside” to use for gas instead of dipping into my own funds would be really nice.

5. College Apparel: The bookstore is expensive, so getting a new sweatshirt, t-shirt, etc. would be really cool. I mean, you can never have too much Warrior wear!

(Bonus: The bookstore is a great place to get gifts for the whole family! So if you get something for someone else, maybe you will get something in return :) )

6. Fitbit: I just got a new Fitbit Charge 2 over the summer and I love it! It’s fun to see how many steps I can get in a day and it helps motivate me to move around instead of having multiple Netflix binge sessions throughout the day. One of my favorite features is that it has a clock face on it so I don’t need to dig out my phone to check the time (super simple detail, but one of my favorites). There are so many different versions of Fitbits, so you will be able to find one that best fits your needs.

7. Box Subscriptions: I get FabFitFun and I love it – it’s like Christmas every time I get it :) Do a little research on which box you would like to get. Some come monthly, like Book of the Month, and some come quarterly, like FabFitFun. There are SO many different ones out there, so you are sure to find one that you would like to get. Check out My Subscription Addiction for most of the different box subscriptions you can receive and what cool things have been in past boxes.

8. Gift cards/money: These might not be super exciting to unwrap, but you can get exactly what you want when you use them. My favorite places for gift cards are Amazon, Target, and Caribou Coffee.

Here are some of the ideas that I have come up with for gifts that any college kid would like to see under the tree or in their stocking – maybe this list has provided some inspiration for your own list!

Happy Holidays, Warriors!

Meet Linsey Taylor, one of the campus correspondents for the Winona State Her Campus chapter. Linsey is a senior majoring in Therapeutic Recreation with a minor in psychology and hopes to become a child life specialist with her degree. In her free time, Linsey enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends and family.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski