Fuel For Your Brain: 10 Snacks to Eat While Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Spring semester is underway, and that means our second full semester of online courses. It can be exhausting sitting all day, every day at your desk. Last semester, Tuesdays and Thursdays were my busiest days, and by busy, I mean logging into one Zoom meeting after another followed by endless hours of homework. But if there was one thing to look forward to, it was my snacks! 

Now, before you judge me, hear me out. Your brain needs food to function properly and retain information. While you should definitely eat full meals, I understand that college schedules sometimes do not allow it. Therefore, snacks become your best friend. However, many college students turn to the salty, unhealthy foods that do more harm than good. 

Below, you will find my list of ten snacks that are healthy for your body and brain. Whether you take a bite between every paragraph or continually munch, these treats will oil your gears and get your brain cranking.

1. Yogurt Parfaits

It sounds too fancy for a college student budget, but you can get the ingredients fairly cheap if you go to the right places. All you need is Greek yogurt, granola and fruit. If you buy in bulk and freeze some of your fruit, it will save you some money as well. This snack is also eaten with a spoon, so your hands can go right back to your homework without making a mess!

2. Apple Slices and Dip

Chips and dip sound very appealing. But before you buy the fat-filled food, consider the healthier alternative. Sliced apples pair nicely with many things including peanut butter, caramel dip (don’t overindulge), honey, yogurt, cream cheese, etc. 

Apples Sliced
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

3. Nuts

Find your inner squirrel and grab those nuts! Almonds, peanuts and pistachios are all tasty, study-friendly snacks.

Pistachios
Christin Urso / Spoon

4. Air-Popped Popcorn

While microwave popcorn can be unhealthy, popcorn made on a stove top or with a popcorn machine isn’t as bad. You can add a little bit of salt to your popcorn as well.

popcorn in a bowl
Georgia Vagim via Unsplash

5. Sugar Snap Peas

They offer crunchiness, sweetness and easy access. Similar to yogurt parfaits, sugar snap peas offer a mess-free munch.

Veggies!
Photo by Iñigo De la Maza from Unsplash

6. Smoothie

Tropical smoothies can include pineapples, coconut or mangos. Mixed berry smoothies usually contain blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Strawberry banana smoothies are also a delicious option. No matter what flavor you choose, they are really healthy, taste delicious and don’t involve the extra effort of chewing—all you have to do is sip and swallow.

7. Fruit Salad

Strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, watermelon and grapes are all perfect ingredients for a superb fruit salad. To reduce the mess and continue your homework grind, you can also eat it with a fork.

packaged fruits and signs set up at a booth at a farmer's market
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels

8. Veggies and Dip

There is a dip to go with every vegetable. Carrots pair well with ranch, celery goes nicely with peanut butter or hummus, and cucumbers go great with sour cream and dill. 

Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon

9. Cheese

Okay… so it sounds really basic. But with the right cheese, your mouth can burst with flavor. Babybel Original, smoked cheddar cheese and gouda are all my top choices. Then you can consider the texture you want: string, cubed, sliced or shredded.

Photo by NastyaSensei Sens from Pexels

10. Bagels

Whether you opt for whole bagels or mini bagels, they contain carbohydrates which are your body’s main source of energy. You can also smear on some cream cheese to add a little extra flavor.

Bagels
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

No matter what you choose to eat, you must take time to nourish your body. Without the proper nutrients, your body won’t be able to focus, and the quality of your work will inevitably drop. Whether you eat my favorite study snacks or create your own, there are always plenty of to-go options at your nearest grocery store to keep you happy.

Study on, my scholarly students! I am proud of you, and I believe this semester is yours for the taking.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.