Fortnite: A Victory to My Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

The most annoying picture to ever exist: 

If this doesn’t make you want to delete every boy off Snapchat, I don’t know what will. If you’re like me, you have never played Fortnite before. For most of us single ladies, our chance at cuffing a boy is close to 0. Listen up, college students. Ever since I advanced from just saying “hi” to now hanging with these gentlemen a floor below me, I’ve become familiar with Fortnite. You can read articles on why Fortnite is so popular, how much profit is made, or even how it affects adults as much as children. As for this article, you can expect your average college girl’s not-so-average perspective on this consuming game. Plus a few wise words from the Boys of 2nd (Richards Hall).

“If everyone’s bored you just say to someone, ‘Hey, you want to play Fortnite?’ and the answer is ‘Of course!’” – Collin

First of all, don’t read this in a nice girly voice. Read it in a “duh,” yet compassionate, tone. I asked Collin, Interviewee 1 of the Boys of 2nd, why he likes Fortnite so much. He told me it’s a safe alternative to partying or other typical college activities. The sassy-pants in me wanted to say, “Boy…there’s so many other alternatives to a video game.” But he has a point. If it’s late at night and it’s too cold to go out, their first thought is video games. But why Fortnite? Well, that’s exactly what I asked Miles.

“It builds community and fosters communication.” –Miles

Fortnite: Battle Royale is different than other popular video games because of the squad and duo modes. These modes allow you to play with friends who aren’t in the same room or who are even in a different state. The only time the Boys of 2nd aren’t in the same room is when they’re gaming in their own rooms. They’ll wear their headsets and chat, even though they’re just across the hall. Dedication? Sure. Because of Fortnite’s mix between combat, survival, and building, it’d be a shame to play any other game at this point. Its popularity has quickly become every game-lover’s obsession, making it an easy reason to bond.

“Fortnite brings people together and helps you stay connected to friends that are far away.” –Austin

Once again, there’s so many other ways to stay connected with people. Considering how invested these guys are with video games, Fortnite allows them to skip that Facetime call to their bro back home. Not only are they playing a game together, they’re also catching up on life. What other game allows you to spend 30 minutes running around rocket-riding while discussing how Becky from Energy is only using him for homework and hasn’t bothered to get to know him?

I’m sure many of you can relate to the fact that there was just one trigger to becoming friends with the group you have now. All it takes is one person, one game, or one thing in common. After I met my best friend at the beginning of the year, I didn’t think I needed to keep making friends. Boy, was I wrong! I kept meeting new people left and right. My eyes have opened to a level I didn’t think existed, and each person is so different than the last. I urge you to keep meeting new people. The things you learn about them and the mysteries of yourself will unfold. How lovely it feels to give someone your time and how beautiful it is to know someone deep down.

Gretchen is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Health Ed and Phy Ed with minors in Adaptive PE and Adventure Ed! She enjoys all things outdoors, she's a peanut butter fanatic, and Proverbs 31:26 is her favorite Bible verse. Gretchen is an RA in the resident halls and a Small Group Leader for a campus ministry, and she enjoys all the Lord equips her to do!
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.