Festive Flicks: 5 Christmas Movies to Watch This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Season’s greetings! It’s time to curl up on the couch, enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and binge Christmas movies. This article is for the diehards that love the cheesiest plots in a story. Yes, many holiday movies have the same storyline. The CEO in New York returns to his hometown in Louisiana and runs into his high school girlfriend who works at the flower shop. They fall in love, hit a rough patch and he returns to his job in New York. He then realizes he messed up and shows up at her doorstep to make up. The end. 

As much as I love that type of movie, I do need a break. Below is a list of Christmas movies that are somewhat different than the traditional holiday storyline. Plus, they are all from Netflix! 

The Princess Switch

Stacy De Novo portrayed by Vanessa Hudgens is a baker in Chicago. She enters a baking competition in Belgravia where she meets her doppelganger, Duchess of Montenaro also portrayed by Hudgens, and swaps lives for a couple of days. Stacy gets to live the dream of being a princess and the Dutchess gets to live a normal life for a couple of days. 

The Grinch (animated version) 

I’ve seen both the cartoon and the live-action version of The Grinch. This one is very funny and has a couple of new characters in it. It is quite enjoyable for all ages! 

Nailed It! (holiday edition)

Okay, I know this is not a movie. But, this series has me laughing constantly. My roommate and I always watch it to make fun of all the baker’s masterpieces. As if we could do any better… 

Christmas With The Kranks

Luther (Tim Allen) and Nora Krank (Jamie Lee Curtis) “skip” Christmas because of their daughter Blair (Julie Gonzalo) leaves to join the Peace Corps. As they’re planning a cruise and not participating in any holiday rituals, things start getting complicated. The day before they leave for their cruise, Blair calls and says she’s coming home. Luther and Nora panic, drop everything and decorate for Christmas. This movie is one of my favorites as it is hilarious!

Christmas Chronicles

Siblings Teddy and Kate Pierce plan to capture Santa on Christmas. When the plan fails, the kids join Santa and save the holiday. 

I am all for funny Christmas movies and this one has it all. It’s cute, funny, and adventurous.

Christmas in the Heartland

In this movie, two high school girls are headed to see family that they’ve never met before. They end up meeting on the airplane and switching places. Note: these girls do not know each other. I honestly can’t tell you anymore because that is all there is to it. Yes, they eventually run into each other and join the same Christmas pageant, but nothing really happens. 

This movie should be on the top worst Christmas movies list, but it is so bad that it’s enjoyable. The acting is horrible, and there are so many questions that popped into my head during. Like “why is this scene relevant?” and “what is even going on?” The way things happen in this movie is crazy. It’s not realistic at all. There is a cheesy twist at the end that will have you thinking “what in the world were these producers thinking?” because there are just so many things that could have been done differently in this movie. Let me know if you want me to list everything wrong in this movie… I will. 

Hopefully, a couple of these movies are new to you. Please watch Christmas in the Heartland for me and let me know what you thought. I really hope you laugh as hard as I did. 

Enjoy and thank you for reading!

Xoxo, Bailey

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

Bailey Rye

Winona '20

Hello! I'm Bailey Rye and I am from Albert Lea, MN. I am a sophomore at Winona State, pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in management. I have been writing since the beginning of grade school and have loved it ever since. I write because I believe I have stories people can relate to and learn from. I love going on trips, watching tv series, and of course, cats. Other than that, I am just your ordinary girl trying to find her place in this big world.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!