Cookies Snickerdoodle
Cookies Snickerdoodle
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Feel-Good Baking: Grandma Pearl’s Homemade Sugar Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In honor of Homemade Cookie Day on October 1st, I decided it was time to share my great-grandma Pearl’s sugar cookie recipe. 

Supplies you will need:

• Two mixing bowls (one large, one medium or small)
  • Mixer (standing or electric hand mixer) 
  • Fork
  • Cookie pan (any size, you will not be able to bake all the cookies at once)
  • Measuring cups 
  • Measuring spoons
  • Parchment paper

Ingredients you will need:

• Sugar (1 cup)
  • Powdered sugar (1 cup)
  • Flour (4 cups plus 4 tablespoons)
  • Butter (1 cup)
  • Eggs (2)
  • Salt (1 teaspoon)
  • Cream of tartar (1 teaspoon)
  • Baking soda (1 teaspoon)
  • Vegetable oil (1 cup)
  • Almond extract (2 teaspoons) 
    • You can also use vanilla extract instead of almond, but I recommend almond 

Instructions:

1. Wash your hands.

2. Let butter sit out until it’s at room temperature for easier mixing.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  

4. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl (flour, sugar, powdered sugar, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda).

5. Add butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.

6. Mix all the wet ingredients together in a small or medium bowl (vegetable oil, eggs, almond extract).

7. Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix them together in the large bowl. 

8. Add extra flour if the mixture is too moist. 

9. Prepare cookie trays with parchment paper.

10. Roll dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter and set on prepared cookie trays.

11. Press the balls somewhat flat with a fork horizontally and vertically (this will create a square pattern in the middle of the cookies).

12. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar. 

13. Bake cookies in the oven until done—about 12 minutes

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Also, do not forget that life is short, so lick the spoon. 

spoon of shredded coconut
Photo by Joanna Kosinska on Unsplash

Jenna is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Social Work with a minor in Sociology. She hopes to go on to get her Masters and become a clinical social worker working with teens. Jenna was born and raised in Eagan, MN. In her free time she enjoys anything outdoors, painting, singing, and learning about astrology. On her page you will find a range of articles from astrology, to listicles, to serious topics.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!