Favorite Crockpot Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Now that fall has started (cue sadness for all you summer lovers), you can bring out the crockpot. Crockpot recipes are so easy because you just throw the ingredients in and it’s ready to cook. It is perfect for when you want to come home after a long day and have dinner ready to go.

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients-

2 ½ cans low-sodium chicken broth

1 can petite diced tomatoes

¾ cup finely chopped yellow onion

4 cloves garlic

2 ½ tsp chili powder

¾ tsp paprika

Salt and pepper to taste

1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 ½ cups frozen corn

1 Tbsp fresh lime juice

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Pour chicken broth and diced tomatoes into the slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, and paprika, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken breasts then cover with lid and cook on low heat for six hours, or until chicken is heated through.

Remove chicken and shred, then return to slow cooker along with black beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice, then stir. Allow to cook until heated through.

Serve warm with tortilla strips and cheese.

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients-

2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped

1 medium yellow onion, diced

3 stalks celery, chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, minced

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

½ teaspoon dried thyme

1 bay leaf

6 cups chicken broth

1 cup water

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup uncooked wide egg noodles

3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Place whole chicken breasts on the bottom and top with carrots, onion, celery, garlic, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf.  Add in chicken broth, water, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat 6-7 hours.  Remove cooked chicken breasts and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place chicken back into the crockpot.  Add in noodles and parsley. Cover and cook just until noodles are tender (5-10 minutes).

Crockpot Chicken Tacos

Ingredients-

1 1oz packet Taco Seasoning

6 Boneless, chicken breasts, thawed

1 16oz jar salsa

Dump all ingredients into crockpot and stir a little bit to blend seasoning with the salsa. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low 6 to 8 hours. When done, the chicken should shred easily when stirred with a fork.

This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.