This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

March 21 is International Day of Forests, and I thought this was the perfect time to share five beautiful forests that many people have never even heard of. Maybe these forests aren’t anything special, but I have never left the Midwest. Therefore, to me, a lot of things seem extra special, so I want to travel to a plethora of places. However, below are the top five forests throughout the world that I want to visit before I kick the bucket.

1. Daintree Rainforest

Located in Australia, it is the oldest tropical rainforest in the world. Its beauty inspired the environment in Avatar. They have ziplines, guided night tours, boats to navigate the dangerous waters, and so much more. It is also home to over 100 rare and endangered species! 

2. Black Forest

Located in Germany, its fairytale-like landscape influenced the setting of the Grimm Brothers’ “Hansel and Gretel”. Though it may look ominous after dusk, the rolling hills offer plenty of history and beauty during the daylight.

3. Great Bear Rainforest

Located in British Columbia, Canada, this temperate rainforest off the coast of Canada takes up 6.4 million hectares (equal to over 15 million baseball fields). Although it houses thousands of animals, it is the only home of the Great Kermode Bear, commonly referred to as the Spirit Bear. 

4. Monteverde Cloud Forest

Located in Costa Rica, this forest is covered in vines, foliage, and clouds. Cloud forests make up only 1% of the world’s forests. With suspension bridges covering miles of the forest, tourists can literally walk through clouds and the forests that house them.

5. Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Okay… so this one isn’t actually underrated. In fact, I have heard more about this forest than any other forest outside of my home state. Located in California, this State Park holds giant monsters that are approximately 2,000 years old. It also looks beautiful, so of course I had to add it.

Forests around the world are struggling to survive as humans exploit them for their natural resources. This International Day of Forests, take some time out of your day and enjoy a nearby forest. Nature is always providing for us, so make sure you give it all of your respect.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.