End-of-the-Semester Motivation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We all know the feeling of having end-of-semester blues; you don’t want to work on homework and all you want to do is watch Netflix (I had the same problem). What you aren’t sure of is how to get your motivation back on track to make sure you end your semester with a bang. Here are a few things that will really help to get your motivation back where you want it!

Get back into scheduling.

Time to break out that planner! At the beginning of the week, make sure you take time to write down everything that needs to get done, what time you want to get it done and what day you plan on getting it done. This way you give yourself a concrete plan and you can’t stray away from it. Take the time to write down every meeting, class, workout and piece of homework that you have to make sure you don’t have any deviations in your plan. It’s also a good idea to write down the location everything will take place at as well.

Get a study buddy.

At the beginning of the semester, working on your homework by yourself is easier when your motivation is at its peak. Mid-semester is a little iffy, but you are still able to get your homework done. At the end of the semester lying in bed and working on homework is always dreaded. Finding a study buddy to motivate you to go to the library or even a local coffee shop will give you a reason to get all of your work done on time, or even a little early.

Find a way to destress.

Working out is a great way to destress, but doing the same routine gets a little boring. Find a new workout class, go to yoga, or even head to the closest lake. Changing up your location can give you a new energy and make you feel a little happier as well.

Eliminate distraction.

Last but not least, make sure you are eliminating your distractions. Turn off your phone, put it away and make sure you also use time blockers on your computer. Force yourself to get your homework done during the specific time block and then reward yourself with turning your phone back on and being able to use social media afterward. It sounds awful but you can relax and enjoy life without stress this way.

The end-of-the-semester lack of motivation is inevitable but follow these steps and you are sure to get back on track!

Meet our writer Alyson Rhoades! Originally from Golden Valley, MN and a graduate of Armstrong High School, Alyson is majoing in Mass Communication Advertising. You can usually catch Alyson belting out songs in her car or getting her coffee fix at Caribou Coffee. She is an avid photographer and believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every year she does the walk for Alzheimers hoping one day to find a cure for an awful disease. She loves to travel and hopes to one day to travel to countries outside of the U.S. Her ideal place to go on vacation is the beach in Florida, which she gets to do every year during Thanksgiving break. Alyson hopes to continue to work hard to be the change she wishes to see in the world as she pursues a career as a Creative Director within the advertising world.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.