Eboni Jackson: Balancing school and Gymnastics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Eboni Jackson is a sophomore advertising major who recently won All-Around title for the Winona State gymnastics team and can’t live without Chick-fil-A, God, or family.

What made you choose Winona State?

I chose Winona State because I loved the campus they had the major I was interested in. I wanted to get away from home as well and all the girls were very warm welcoming and Coach Beckie was very nice and seemed very interested in me as a person and my gymnastics.

What is a typical busy day in the life of our WSU gymnastics team?

Well, during pre-season we usually have weights at 6:00am, so I usually wake up around 5:45 a.m. to get ready for that and then usually after weights I eat breakfast and then I have an 8:00am and I have all my classes throughout the day because we have practices from 1-4pm then sometimes I have to leave practice early for my later classes. I usually go eat dinner with some of my teammates then I do homework for the rest of the night if I have a lot, I try to get a episode of something in on Netflix if I don’t have too much homework, then I go to sleep.

Is it difficult to balance school and gymnastics?

Yeah, it was harder for me freshman year because I was trying to adjust and figure out what study habits were best for me and trying to balance gymnastics on top of that was hard as well but I learned very fast after my first semester how I needed to study and get organized and my athletic advisors helped me learn how to stay on top of things and make sure I had everything done and turned it, as well as what classes to take each semester.

You just won All-Around title breaking multiple school and personal records, what was going through your head after the meet?

I think I’m still in shock. It feels amazing to break team and individual records and I’m very grateful to have been apart of this amazing team and I hope we can have many more years that are this amazing as well.

What inspires you every day to get out there and do your best work?

I think my family are amazing motivates they motivate me with everything I do especially school and gymnastics and I’m thankful for them everyday because I wouldn’t be here without them.

Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.