This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Whether you are a gloomful grown-up or quarantined kid, these science experiments are sure to light a spark in you. Don’t believe me? Try them for yourself!

Salty Science

Salt doesn’t have to be something that you just put on your food to add a little flavor. It can be used for so much more! Check out these cool experiments to sprinkle a little flavor into your life!

Spice jars
Pexels

Defying Gravity: Teach your kids why certain items float in water and why some don’t. Then you can add salt to the water and watch heavy objects, including pebbles or small toys, begin to float. If you have more than one kid and want to maintain consistency, you can use an egg.

Mosaic Masterpieces: Make salt dough and use it to make art. Kids love working hands-on. Especially when it comes to art. This allows them to use science while making the salt dough and then create art.

Using the Force: Teach your kids about static electricity by separating salt and pepper without even touching it.

Captivating Crystals: Crystals are so beautiful because they occur naturally in their environments. However, there is a way to make some crystals at home, and I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Puffy Paint Palooza: Here is yet another way to entertain your kids with hands-on art. Kids can put the solution on paper, and it over time it will raise and produce its puffiness. 

Watery Wonders

While water is an essential part of life, it can also be used for fun. Let’s get the activities flowing with these watery wonders!

Photo by manu schwendener on Unsplash

Colorful Carnations (and other flowers): We all know that flowers need water to live, but water with food coloring just adds a special splash of beauty.

Discovering Density: As adults, we know that oil and water do not mix. However, sometimes it is still fun to mess around with the two. 

Loopy Lava Lamp: If you didn’t grow up with a lava lamp in your bedroom, trust me, you are missing out! Now is your chance to create one.

Create Your Own Rainbow: Not only do you get the fun of making a rainbow in water, but you also can look at it after and remember that there will be a rainbow after all this rain; (AKA better times are coming, and coronavirus will come to an end eventually).

Swirling Skittles: This is another colorful creation to enjoy. If you haven’t done this one yet, I highly recommend you do because it is fun! Plus, you can snack on the extra candy while you wait for the experiment to finish.

Coca-Cola Conjurations

Take a sip, kick back and conjure up some fun with these cool Coca-Cola experiments.

Coca Cola Glass_Bottles
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Extravagant Eruptions: This one is an oldie but a goodie. Crack out your Diet Coke and Mentos, and get ready for the classic reaction!

Curdling Cow Milk: Coca-Cola is so acidic that it curdles cow milk. Give it a try, but I am warning you… it is gross.

Rust Removal: I have been told since middle school how Coca-Cola can remove rust from tools. Now is your chance to try it!

Astounding Sugar: Want to see how much sugar is used in Coca-Cola? All you have to do is fry up some of the soda, and you’ll see the result.

Exposing Eggs: This experiment dissolves the egg’s shell, thus exposing the egg membrane.

I know many people are going stir-crazy in their homes due to COVID-19. However, I hope these experiments are able to give you some entertainment!

Remember to maintain social distancing with people who do not live with you. The quickest and safest way to get through this pandemic is by listening to your local and federal health officials. Stay safe, and have fun!

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!