Drop the Beat: 10 Fall-Inspired Tunes to Listen to Before the Leaves Drop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Fall has been my favorite season for as long as I can remember. The leaves changing, the air turning crisp, and of course, the music that puts my mind in an autumn-loving mood all season long. Mix this together with my obsessive love for making playlists, and you get a list of my top ten songs of the season. 

“Autumn Leaves,” Ed Sheeran

It wouldn’t be a fall playlist without “Autumn Leaves” being in the top spot. Ed Sheeran is well-known for heartfelt music that can make anyone cry, but this song has always been a favorite of mine, especially in the colder months. His voice is so fragile, and his storytelling abilities are what make this song so beautiful. Ten out of 10 recommend driving down pretty fall-colored backroads and jamming out to this whole album.

• Favorite lyrics: “Another day another life / Passes by just like mine / It’s not complicated”

“Wake Me Up When September Ends,” Green Day

Green Day has been one of my favorite bands for as long as I can remember. I grew up listening to their earlier albums with my dad, and now that’s why I love their music so much. This song, in particular, is one that I always come back to when I’m missing home a little extra. Not only does it have a fall month in the title, but also, it’s a blast from the past and a forever classic.

• Favorite lyrics: “Here comes the rain again / Falling from the stars / Drenched in my pain again / Becoming who we are”

“Colder Weather,” Zac Brown Band

Don’t get me wrong, Zac Brown is an amazing vocalist and one of my favorite country artists, but “Colder Weather” will make me melt every time I hear it. The opening notes are just a piano and Zac’s voice, and it immediately makes you want to call all the people you love. I’ll admit, I forgot how gentle this song was until I was finding songs to complete this playlist, and it’s definitely a classic. “Colder Weather is a cozy song that I have found a new love for once again. 

• Favorite lyrics: “Well it’s a winding road / When you’re in the lost and found”

“Breathe Again,” Sara Bareilles

In my eyes, Sara Bareilles can do no wrong. Recently, she has been best known for her songs in the Broadway musical, Waitress. Back in 2011, I saw Sara live when she opened for Sugarland and their Incredible Machine Tour. When I heard her sing “King of Anything” from her Kaleidoscope Heart album, she immediately became one of my go-to artists. This song specifically reminds me that in any season of my life, I will be okay as long as I take a breath and keep moving forward, which is such a healthy reminder with the fall weather approaching.

• Favorite lyrics: “Car is parked, bags are packed, but what kind of heart doesn’t look back / At the comfortable glow from the porch, the one I will still call yours?”

“Johnny and Donna,” Mali Music

“Johnny and Donna” sounds like it is being played straight out of a coffee shop. After hearing this song in my junior year of high school, I immediately fell in love. Mali is very jazz-oriented, and you can hear it in the way he sings. His rich tone in all his songs takes me back in time and this song specifically screams autumn to me while complimenting my morning latte perfectly.

• Favorite lyrics: “Whether you’re Johnny and Donna / Or neither of the two / Just try to make the best of what’s given to you”

“Halloween,” Jon Bellion

Some of my favorite fall memories all have one thing in common: Jon Bellion. I remember listening to him before every volleyball game, dancing to him at the homecoming dance, and belting his lyrics while driving with my best friends. Even though this isn’t my favorite Jon Bellion song, it definitely puts me in a creepy October vibe. 

• Favorite lyrics: “When I kick a dirty verse, get the dirty hearse / Cause I can be October, baby you could be the 31st”

“Consequences (orchestra),” Camila Cabello

This song may not scream fall to a lot of people, but this song has a special place in my heart. In October of last year, my boyfriend and I heard this song on the radio for the first time and we both loved it. It quickly became one of our favorite songs of 2018, and we played it constantly in the car. Because of this, I will always think of “Consequences” as a fall tune with a special meaning. Cabello is already an amazing vocalist to begin with, but put the orchestra behind her and it immediately makes the song a million times more mesmerizing. 

• Favorite lyrics: “Loving you was sunshine, safe and sound / A steady place to let down my defenses”

“Front Porch,” Joy Williams

I could write a million good things about this song, but the story it tells is why I love it so much. 2019 was a year of trying to accept change and I quickly found out that it’s a pretty hard thing for me to do. “Front Porch” reminds me that even in my times of struggle, I always have a home to go to. This song reminds me of my family, and fall is certainly not complete without the love you have for those around you. 

• Favorite lyrics: “And love is always sad when it fades / The glass is better stained anyways”

“Old Friends,” Jasmine Thompson

I am convinced that Jasmine Thompson can sing anything and make it sound like it is straight from heaven. Her vocals are astounding, but the lyrics to this song are something I think anybody can relate to when going to a new place—like college—for the first time. This song is all about finding new friends who are awesome, but they don’t understand you like your old friends do. Last fall, this was a song that I related to so heavily, and now my new friends have become people I will be close to forever. For me, it’s special to look back on songs that you once related to, hear it again, and be taken back to that particular time in your life. This song reminds me of last fall and shows me how much I have changed in just one short year.

• Favorite lyrics: “I miss the good times we had / Now I don’t know who’s got my back”

“Fire and the Flood (acoustic),” Vance Joy

Last, but certainly not least, is Vance Joy. “Fire and the Flood” became an automatic fall classic for me way back in 2016, but the acoustic version takes it one step further. Whenever this pops up on my playlist, I immediately feel inclined to drop everything and sing along. It’s such a relaxing song with lyrics that anybody can relate to, and the guitar behind his vocals makes the experience that much better. 

• Favorite lyrics: “I been getting used to waking up with you / I been getting used to waking up here”

These songs have been played during long fall car rides, on walks around campus, and the occasional jam out session with friends, take a listen and make the playlist of your autumn loving dreams.

Hi, I'm Tiegue! I'm a sophomore at Winona State University and majoring in Communication Studies. I'm a small-town girl from Wisconsin (go Bucky!) and when I'm not writing, you can usually find me in a coffee shop or with a camera swinging around my neck.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!