Style > Decor

DIY: 8 Easy Steps to Make Apothecary Bottles for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In need of some out-of-the-box decorations this Halloween? I’ve got your back! Check out this guide for creating apothecary bottles that will add a spooky vibe to any room, guaranteed.

Step 1:

Collect bottles. I recommend going to Goodwill and looking for old oil and vinegar glass bottles. Glass bottles work the best versus plastic. I also recommend finding a variety of sizes and shapes. If you are going for the antique look, then I suggest finding ones with a cork or some kind of top.

Step 2:

Clean the bottles and let them dry.

Step 3:

If you want the painted look, I recommend using glass or acrylic paint. I used DecoArt Americana Multisurface paint from Hobby Lobby. It might take two or three coats, so make sure to wait for each coat to dry completely before adding a new one.

Step 4:

Using a computer, type out labels, such as Wolfsbane, Skeleton polish, Ghost Essence, Vervain, Moonstones, etc. If desired, find a picture and put it under each title. I recommend finding a creepy font. You could always draw the labels if you have an artistic side and nice penmanship, too.

Step 5:

Print out the labels. I suggest printing in black and white ink for this part to give the labels an antique vibe. This step may take a few tries to get the sizing just right.

Step 6 (optional):

If you want an antique vibe, crinkle the paper a few times to make it seem aged.

Step 7:

Glue the correctly sized labels to the bottles. When I did mine, I used my mom’s sticker maker to make them sticky enough. 

Step 8:

Decorate your house, apartment, dorm room or wherever you want to put them.

Congratulations! You have made a spooky apothecary bottle. A few years ago, I went crazy and made between 10 and 15 bottles and scattered them throughout my living room—they brought a spooky element to the other decorations. Happy Halloween!

1

My name is Sydney. I am currently a Junior at Winona State University. I love to write short stories and fantasy stories. I am an avid Disney fan.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!