This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Name: David MendezYear: ’17Hometown: La Crosse, WIMajor/Minor: Marketing/CoachingRelationship Status: Single

This week’s campus cutie was given quite the generous nomination. The anonymous gal said, “He is a trustworthy person and someone to look up to”. And better yet ladies, he’s single! While you may have seen David Mendez bartending at Betty Jo’s or lifting at the gym, get to know him a little better by checking out what makes him so unique.

HC (Her Campus): What do you think of the anonymous nomination reading, “I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about him and I have never heard him say a bad thing about anyone else.”DM (David Mendez): That is a very kind thing to say. I am flattered that someone would say that about me.

HC: The nomination mentioned you were in school and the National Guard. What made you decide to join the National Guard?DM: I’ve always wanted to join, ever since I was young. It is something that I wanted to do because of my family, mainly because my cousin served for the Navy Seals.

HC: Has the National Guard changed how you perceive life now?DM: It has a lot. Because of the Army I am very motivated and more grateful for the simple things in life. Even small things like going to grab a glass of milk out of the fridge.

HC: Who is your role model or inspiration and why?DM: Steve Cook. He is a great body builder that is always positive and helps people achieve their goals.

HC: Do you have any words to live by?DM: I would have to say my tattoo, which is, “A true soldier fights not because he hates the people in front of him but because he loves the people behind him”.

HC: What are three things you could absolutely not live without?DM: I could not live without soccer, having the ability to run, and my dog.

HC: Do you have any guilty pleasures?DM: I am a fan of chick flicks. I love the movie Bridesmaids and the show New Girl.

HC: What is the first thing you notice about a girl?DM: I would definitely have to say her eyes.

HC: Can you describe your ideal girl?DM: She is smart, passionate in what she loves doing, goal oriented, outgoing, and loves to workout.

HC: Can you describe your ideal first date?DM: I can see us going to grab coffee at a coffee shop, and getting to know one another by just chatting about life.

HC: What does your future look like?DM: I see myself married with kids and working a job where I can give back to people, while enjoying it at the same time. My dream is to start a youth sports facility, where kids can work with professionals to train and develop their skills.

HC: How does it feel to be a campus cutie?DM: I am very surprised because I do not consider myself in that way, but I am very flattered.

Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.