Crash Course: Tips and Tricks from a Driver Recently in an Accident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

First off, I will start by saying I am not an expert on safe driving. But I would like to give my input on some tips and tricks I use when driving that helped me avoid getting into an accident for three years. That three-year streak ended on the 18th of October when I totaled my car.

I have had my driver’s license since October of 2017. And I have been in two car accidents where I was the driver. Both accidents have ended up with the vehicle being totaled and towed away from the scene. The first one was my fault, and it shaped some of the tips that I still use to this day. Here are some tips and tricks to help you have a safe and fun car trip. 

Tip #1: Wear your seatbelt! 

Yes, this is a law and a common law to see being broken. But seatbelts really do save lives! During my most recent crash, I was wearing my seatbelt. Yes, I did end up with some shoulder pain from the seatbelt, but I was held in my seat and not thrown through the windshield, which would have killed me. 

friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Tip #2a: No texting! In Minnesota, there is a hands-free law where you can’t even hold your phone in your hand. But in some states, like Wisconsin where I am from, the hands-free law is non-existent. I can’t tell you how many people I have seen in Wisconsin who are texting while driving. I have been one of those people, but after I ended up on the shoulder and almost spun out, I have stopped texting and driving altogether. It is very dangerous.

Tip #2b: Use “Do not disturb while driving” on your phone! Most phone companies have a feature where you can have all notifications silenced when you are driving or in a car. This makes it so that if someone texts you while you are driving, your phone sends an automated message back to them. This is super handy because your phone won’t go off with notifications while you are driving, and you are way less likely to check your phone if you do not hear the notifications.

whatsapp app on phone
Photo by Mika Baumeister from Unsplash

Tip #3: Use both hands on the steering wheel! My first car accident was because I didn’t have both hands on the wheel, and I was looking down to unzip my coat. Having both hands on the wheel ensures that even if you do look down for a bit—maybe something fell, and you wanted to see where it went—you have much more control over your vehicle than if you drove with one hand only.

Now that I have given you some safe driving tips, I will mention some tricks I have learned to not only be safe on the road but also to not p*ss off all the other drivers on the road.

Pexels

Trick #1: Go a little above the speed limit. I tend to speed just a little bit, to avoid people tailgating me. If the speed limit is between 25 mph and 45 mph, I will only go like 2 miles over. If the speed limit is 55 mph and above, I tend to go 5 miles over. Police won’t pull you over if you are only going a few miles over the speed limit, but they start frowning upon going over 9 miles above. But going a little above the speed limit helps you to avoid being tailgated by the a**holes that do go a little faster.

Trick #2: Slow down if you are being tailgated to urge them to pass you. If you still are being tailgated even going a few miles above the speed limit, slow down to the speed limit to either get them to back off your tail or encourage them to go around you. Even if you are going above the speed limit, some people like to ride your tail to bully you into going faster. So, bully them back by slowing down to the speed limit. Most often, they back off your tail. But other times, they won’t back off or pass you, and that is when you either pull over to the shoulder, so they pass you, or you do a reverse pass and go into the other lane so that they pass you. But a reverse pass and pulling over to the shoulder should be your last resorts, not the first options. 

street cars brewery sign beer
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Now to get into the fun tips!

Tip #1: Play music that you enjoy! Nothing is more boring than a silent car ride. Playing fun music on a long car ride can keep you alert and awake enough to pay attention to the road so you can react quicker.

hand holding iphone showing spotify
Photo by Fixelgraphy from Unsplash

Tip #2: Personalize your car! I put fun little toys or stuffed animals in my car as a way to personalize it. This makes it easier to find your car in a parking lot, and it’s a fun story-starter for passengers.

Tip #3: Air fresheners. Cars tend to have a smell to them. Sometimes it is good, other times it is bad. But regardless, it is better for your car to smell good than bad. So I recommend using an air freshener. My personal favorite is a Febreze spray called Fresh Linen, because it masks any other odor in my car.

Now that I have told you guys a few tips and tricks I use to have a safe and fun ride, you will also have a safer and more fun ride. Of course, these methods are not perfect, but they will help you avoid the majority of problems linked to car crashes.

my name is Annie Zalewski, and I enjoy writing random stories. I write about artistry, hunting, and other random things I enjoy, or find appealing.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!