Culture > News

Coronavirus Isn’t the Only Thing Spreading Rapidly in 2020: Current Wildfires in the US

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Natural disasters are happening all over the world––even right here in the US. However, SARS-CoV-2, commonly known as coronavirus, and the 2020 Presidential Election seem to be all that news articles are talking about. Do not get me wrong: both of these topics are very important and could be considered life or death. But those aren’t the only catastrophes happening.  

Here in the United States, there are currently ten states reporting 42 large wildfires. Within the large fires, there are numerous small fires. These fires take up 3,134,482 acres of land. To put that into perspective, one acre is just a little smaller than one baseball field. Now, imagine over 3 million baseball fields on fire. 

This is way more than the expected wildfires that occur every year. California’s state record for wildfires has been surpassed, while Oregon has nearly doubled their yearly average for wildfire acreage.  

In just 2020, thousands of people have needed to evacuate their homes, billions of dollars in property damage have occurred, over 30 people have died and countless more have been injured with multiple firefighters among them. 

Below is a comprehensive list of the totals in each state currently reported as of October 30, 2020. 

Arizona

Total Fires: 4 

Total Acreage: 47,932 acres 

California

Total Fires: 18 

Total Acreage: 2,266,300 acres 

Colorado

Total Fires: 5 

Total Acreage: 448,059 acres 

Idaho

Total Fires: 5 

Total Acreage: 33,891 acres 

Montana

Total Fires: 1 

Total Acreage: 6,009 acres 

New Mexico

Total Fires: 1 

Total Acreage: 10,142 acres  

Oregon

Total Fires: 2 

Total Acreage: 27,417 acres 

Utah

Total Fires: 2  

Total Acreage: 95,591 acres 

Washington

Total Fires: 2 

Total Acreage: 24,995 acres 

Wyoming

Total Fires: 2 

Total Acreage: 177,376 acres 

If it isn’t happening in front of our own eyes, we may not fully grasp the seriousness of the situation. However, the fires across the United States are very real. There are many ways you can help prevent wildfires in your area, including cleaning up dead trees and leaves, always being within view of your campfire and not burning on windy days. Here is a list of ways to help current wildfires in other states which can include offering shelter to those you know or donating blood to the American Red Cross. 

As always, it is important to remember that we share this Earth together, and it is the only Earth we get. Protect it like your life depends on it—because it does. 

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.