Confessions of a Too Cool For School Freshman During Warrior Homecoming Week: As told by Hanna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Well before we know it, Homecoming 2015 is already here. Wait, what (and we wonder why it’s so early this year?) Oh well, on with the celebrations! For you seniors out there, congrats you made it! It’s time to have the best time of your life and show off your school spirit for the last time in your collegiate career. And for you freshman out there, no you’re not too cool to go to the homecoming events throughout the week like I was; and I regret every second of it. I still kick myself for not attending the football game, pep fest, parade or even the medallion hunt. (I mean come on, who wouldn’t want $50?) While I kick myself about it, I realize there is nothing I can change about it, except for go out with a bang this year (as I will). My advice to you is to vote for a king and queen, have fun at the parade, go to the pep fest in the courtyard Friday afternoon and go to the football game on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. You will regret it if you don’t, I promise you. So here it is, I’m going to break it down for you right now what you should be doing during homecoming week (September 21st-26th), so you don’t make the same rookie mistakes like I did as a freshman.

Monday:

Free root beer floats? I’m in. Meet me at the Gazebo @ 11 a.m. for this tasty treat. And don’t forget, starting today there will be clues announced daily on the WSU Homecoming Events Facebook page! The winner receives $50! Did someone say pizza? I’m buying. Don’t forget that the homecoming coronation is tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Somsen Auditorium!

Tuesday:

Tuesday night will be a blast to the past: night games! Get your friends together to compete in glow-in-the-dark night games and a scavenger hunt @ 8 p.m. in the courtyard! It’s time to Shine Bright Like a Warrior!

Wednesday:

Chalk the Walk @ 11 a.m. at the Gazebo! Decorate our very own campus with your own artistic style. Along with that, what is homecoming without a bonfire? Meet by the library @ 8 pm for s’mores, music and fun!

Thursday:

Comedian Andrew Sleighter will be joining us in a stand-up comedy show @ 7:30 p.m. in Somsen Auditorium (and yes, I will be the one with the cackling laugh; annoying I know, but maybe I was born with it). After the show, head over to Lourdes @ 8:45 p.m. to enjoy some live music with Canyon Spells, a band all the way from Nashville, TN!

Friday:

Agh Friday, it’s time for a dance party. Start your day off by heading to the Club Fair located in the courtyard from 11 a.m.-2 p.m.! While you’re at it you should clearly stop by the Her Campus booth to visit this chick.

Since you’re already on campus, stay for the pep fest @ 12 p.m. near the Gazebo and get some free toppers stixs! (Pizza is good for the soul, duh!)

And if you really feel like dancing, head to East Hall @ 7:30 p.m. for the world’s wildest glow party! Rave on, Warriors.

Saturday:

The annual homecoming parade begins @ 10 a.m. on Huff Street! This will be the only time all year you head to Huff Street and hope to get hit! (By candy and beads, duh.)

After that, head to the courtyard to get wild and crazy at the tailgate party from 11 am–1:30 pm! Lawn games, a photo booth, your favorite tailgating foods and a spirit station will be there!

Finally, head over to Maxwell Field at the Warrior Stadium to cheer on the WSU Warriors as they take on the St. Cloud Huskies!

So there you have it, Warriors. Don’t be that “too cool for school” freshman and make some memories during your collegiate careers. After all, we all have a few years here (four maybe six, I won’t judge you) so why not make it the best years of your life?

-Hanna Leadstrom

HCXO

*All information and images are used for educational purposes*

Hanna Leadstrom is a student at Winona State University studying mass communication with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in marketing. You can often find her working out, blogging, sipping on a cup of jo and day dreaming of travel. She enjoys the little things in life and is a firm believer in a "work hard, play hard" life motto.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.