College Friends: These Are Your People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Friends come and go, we all know that. We had that best friend in elementary school that we played Polly Pockets with, those middle school friends who witnessed your extremely awkward phase that no one wants to be reminded of, the high school friends who were there for the drama, the dances, and the football games, who you love coming home to on holidays, and then there comes college. College is the time you figure out who you are as a person and your new friends get to witness that. How cool??

Whether it’s your roommate, classmate, or someone you met in the Smaug, these are your people. Maybe even just your person. Sure, there will be times when Christmas break is around the corner and you both mentally and physically CANNOT wait to get away. Strangely, all of a sudden, you find yourself texting this certain BFF reminding them of the funny story that happened the weekend before you left, or maybe they send you a really unfortunate looking picture they have of you stored on their phone. These are your people. Why is it like this, you ask? It’s because they see all of your emotions on the daily. They’ve seen you do REALLY stupid things… like put plastic in the oven or a dent in the wall. They’ve seen you cry over classes, over boys, over absolutely nothing- you just drank too much so you’re crying. Trust me, they’ve seen you at your worst. However, they’ve also seen you at your best! These people have seen you get an A on an exam (the same one you cried about earlier saying you’d get an F on), they saw you go on a date and come back beaming, they were there with you in your car laughing at nothing and everything until there were tears in your eyes. These people are your people.

Now for the downfall of having your best friend be from college? You more than likely live hours apart. It’s not a huge deal throughout freshman to junior year, in fact, you might be getting sick of them by then. Once senior year rolls around, things change. WHEN AM I GOING TO SEE YOU AFTER GRADUATION?! Like, you’re expecting me to have to be separated from them for more than a weekend at a time?! NOT OKAY. Here’s what needs to happen, you’re going to have to put in a team effort to make those trips when one of you needs the other to be there after heartbreak, or to celebrate landing that new job, or maybe just to share a bottle of wine with and catch up. The great thing is that these people will make those trips for you. You’re going to make it. It sucks, but you will. These are your best friends for life. BF4L betch. So, until graduation, make the best of the crazy, chaotic times you have left to be crazy and chaotic with them whenever you want. Because there isn’t a whole lot of time left… But know deep down, these people, YOUR people, are stuck with you forever, and before you know it they’ll be standing right behind you on your wedding day because…one last time…. these are your people.

By Her Campus contributing writer, Anna Schmitz

Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.