Christmas vs New Year’s Resolutions: The 12 Months of 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Merry Christmas, everyone! It feels like it was just yesterday when 2018 began, and now, the new year is merely a week away.

Although it may sound cheesy, I traditionally write New Year’s resolutions following each Christmas Day celebration. For 2019’s set of resolutions, I decided to put a little twist on it by setting it to the classic jingle “The Twelve Days of Christmas” and renaming it as “The Twelve Months of 2019” (clever girl, I know).

Enjoy my little tune below, and hopefully you will be in the mood to wrap up (pun intended) your Christmas jolliness and begin your New Year’s spark (and maybe midnight smooch!).

record player
Photo by Lee Campbell on Unsplash
In the first month of 2019, I will have achieved

A new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come January, I plan on declaring a new minor in Journalism and starting yet another focus on my ultimate joy (i.e. writing!).

In the second month of 2019, I will have achieved

Two leadership roles

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come February, I plan on assuming an additional leadership position as Manager of the WSU Blogs—an incredible opportunity I could NOT be more excited about.

In the third month of 2019, I will have achieved

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come March, I plan on exercising more; specifically, three times a week. My fitness and physical health have been put on the backburner for awhile now, but it is time to make it a priority again and I look forward to getting back in shape!

In the fourth month of 2019, I will have achieved

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come April, I plan on making it a habit to actively think and approach any situation in a positive way.

In the fifth month of 2019, I will have achieved

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come May, I plan on kicking major ass with my spring semester final exams… no better way to say it!

In the sixth month of 2019, I will have achieved

Six drives a-tripping,

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come June, I plan on embracing spontaneous adventures—regardless of the day or even the time of day—because those tend to be the most unforgettable moments.

In the seventh month of 2019, I will have achieved

Seven babes a-braving,

Six drives a-tripping,

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come July, I plan on loving fearlessly. That may sound strange coming from a 20-year-old, but I currently have the habit of being too reserved around boys—and it is a habit I fully intend on breaking!

In the eighth month of 2019, I will have achieved

Eight donors a-helping,

Seven babes a-braving,

Six drives a-tripping,

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come August, I plan on recruiting eight donors to contribute to my Walk to Alzheimer’s team, Mickey’s Memories, in honor of my late Grandpa Spencer. This walk is very special to me because not only does it provide a great opportunity to annually get my family members together outside of holiday celebrations, but also our collective efforts make the world of a difference for Alzheimer’s care and research. As Grandpa would always say: Wunderbar!

In the ninth month of 2019, I will have achieved

Nine (legal!) mixed drinks hopping,

Eight donors a-helping,

Seven babes a-braving,

Six drives a-tripping,

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come September, your girl will be turning 21 (woohoo!) and I plan on celebrating with some bubbly and friends.

In the tenth month of 2019, I will have achieved

Ten pounds a-slimming,

Nine (legal!) mixed drinks hopping,

Eight donors a-helping,

Seven babes a-braving,

Six drives a-tripping,

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come October, I plan on being at least ten pounds lighter through my workout and diet changes.

In the eleventh month of 2019, I will have achieved

Eleven good laughs crying,

Ten pounds a-slimming,

Nine (legal!) mixed drinks hopping,

Eight donors a-helping,

Seven babes a-braving,

Six drives a-tripping,

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come November, I plan on letting go of my over-analytical self and living more in the moment.

In the twelfth month of 2019, I will have achieved

Twelve whole days beaching,

Eleven good laughs crying,

Ten pounds a-slimming,

Nine (legal!) mixed drinks hopping,

Eight donors a-helping,

Seven babes a-braving,

Six drives a-tripping,

Five aced finals,

Four daily smiles,

Three weekly workouts,

Two leadership roles,

And a new minor in Mass Comm.

• What it means: come December, I plan on going on a trip with my parents in lieu of exchanging Christmas presents. Ditching the Minnesota snow for white sand will be the cherry on top of an excellent year!

Nappy
Hopefully you are now inspired to jot down some of your own New Year’s resolutions and make them the lyrics to another classic Christmas jingle. Happy holidays!

| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.