Christmas Movie Countdown: 31 Movies to Binge Before Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I am in love with Christmas! From Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” to colorful lights, my heart beats for the holiday spirit. But nothing can top the feeling of watching a Christmas movie with a mug of hot cocoa in hand. 

For this reason, I have seen way more Christmas movies than I would care to admit. However embarrassing, I want to share some of them with you. I’m not going to lie, some are cheesy or downright cringey. 

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

After a traumatic Christmas experience, the Grinch left Whoville. Now, the Grinch wants to steal Christmas from every Who in Whoville. Can he do it or will Christmas spirit make its way back into his heart?

Available on Netflix

2. The Santa Clause (1, 2 & 3)

Scott Calvin, a successful toy company employee, has a run in with Santa Claus. Without even trying, he and his son are thrown into a circumstance they would never expect. 

Available on Disney+

3. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Jen is good at a lot of things, but Christmas is not one of them. That is until a stranger comes and reminds her of the true meaning of Christmas.

Available on Amazon Prime Video

4. The Spirit of Christmas

Kate has never had a successful relationship. Instead, she buries herself in work. And she is okay with that… until she meets an unexpected character that changes her outlook on life, love and Christmas. 

Available on Amazon Prime Video and Hulu

5. Christmas Contract

Breakups are always hard. The run-ins afterwards are awkward. But this single lady has an idea in mind to one-up her ex. The only question is, “Can she pull it off?”

Available on Amazon Prime Video

6. Home Alone

Kevin McCallister goes from a troublemaker child to a quick-witted brainiac overnight. After his entire family forgets him when they go on a Christmas vacation, Kevin is forced to defend himself and his home until his family comes back.

Available on Disney+

7. Noelle

Noelle, Kris Kringle’s daughter, has always been put on the sidelines while her brother, Nick, gets trained to take over the North Pole. When Nick starts to crack under the pressure, Noelle has to step up in order to save Christmas. 

Available on Disney+

8. The Knight Before Christmas

Brooke, a high school science teacher, is a realist who relies on facts. She gave up on looking for her knight in shining armor when all of a sudden, one literally shows up at her door. Is she able to help him travel back in time?

Available on Netflix

9. Midnight at the Magnolia

Radio talk show hosts and lifelong friends, Maggie and Jack, both get dumped before their big break. Are they able to salvage their dream or will it crumble in front of them?

Available on Netflix

10. Christmas on Holly Lane

When three high school best friends reunite after many years, they realize how messy each of their lives are. By working together, the three find happiness once again.

Available on Hulu

11. A Christmas Prince

Amber is an aspiring journalist about to make her big break. All she needs is life-altering news to produce an eye-catching headline. When Aldovia’s Prince is MIA, she takes her chance. Will she be able to write a story worthy of fame or will new evidence prevail?

Available on Netflix

12. Christmas in the Smokies

Shelby Haygood grew up in a small town on her family farm. But her life gets turned upside-down when her family farm is about to be shut down. With the help of her family, the town, and her ex-high school sweetheart, she might be able to pull it off.

Available on Netflix

13. The Holiday Calendar

Abby, an aspiring photographer, receives a magical advent calendar. The magic in it eventually leads her to the love of her life. With her best friend by her side, Abby goes through many ups and downs before the calendar works its magic.

Available on Netflix

14. Second Chance Christmas

Caroline and Jack’s marriage is at stake after Caroline gets into a car accident and loses her memory. Can Jack capture Caroline’s heart again by making new memories or will their marriage and life as Jack remembers it fall apart?

Available on Hulu

15. Falling for Christmas

After years of competitive skating, Claire’s career is challenged when she gets injured. For recovery, she is sent to a rehabilitation center down twisty roads and snowy mountains. While there, a local ice fisherman shows her the way around the place while instilling a little bit of Christmas spirit in her, otherwise, frozen heart.

Available on Amazon Prime Video

16. The Christmas Lodge

Mary Tobin has many memories at a lodge in the middle of the wilderness. But when she arrives, the lodge has lost its sparkle and appears rundown. Mary doesn’t turn away though. Instead, she is determined to return the lodge to the way she remembers it.

Available on Amazon Prime Video

17. Angels in the Snow

“Charles and Judith take their kids to their remote cabin for Christmas where tensions between them threaten to boil over, but when another family gets stranded by a storm, they all learn a lesson about sticking together.”

Available on Amazon Prime Video

18. A Christmas Carol

“Ebenezer Scrooge begins the Christmas holiday with his usual miserly contempt, but when three ghosts take him on a journey revealing long-buried truths, he must open his heart to undo years of ill will before it’s too late.”

Available on Disney+

19. Journey to Paradise

In the small town of Paradise, Lucy has trouble finding Christmas spirit after a traumatic breakup. When a handsome and successful businessman comes to town, he helps Lucy find her Christmas spirit.

Available on Amazon Prime Video

20. Santa Girl

Santa Claus is ready to force his daughter into an arranged marriage in order for her to take over the family business. But when Cassie Claus, Santa Claus’s daughter, sets off for college, she is able to postpone her father’s plans. Along the way, Cassie finds many friends… and enemies.

Available on Netflix

21. Christmas Catch

Detective Mackenzie Bennett has absolutely no flirting skills. But when she literally falls into the arms of a handsome stranger, she immediately begins to fall in love. Soon after, Detective Bennett is forced to uncover the truth of the man she has developed feelings for.

Available on Netflix

22. Holly’s Holiday

When Holly Maddux slips on ice outside a retail store, the mannequin in the window appears to come to life and try to help her. Has she found the love of her life or is it too good to be true?

Available on Hulu

23. ‘Twas the Night

“When Santa Claus is accidentally knocked out on Christmas Eve, Danny and his con-artist uncle take it upon themselves to deliver the gifts.”

Available on Disney+

24. I’ll Be Home for Christmas

“Self-centered college student Jake is in a rush to get home for the holidays. But it isn’t because he’s excited to share Christmas with his family—it’s because he’ll be rewarded with his dad’s vintage car if he makes it on time. Desperate to claim his gift, he flies, crawls and even sleighs his way east… and along the way, he might even learn the true meaning of Christmas.”

Available on Disney+

25. Christmas Inheritance

Ellen Langford is about to inherit her dad’s business, but first she must complete a seemingly easy task—deliver a Christmas card to a man in Snow Falls. After getting trapped during a snowstorm, the local townspeople help her discover the true meaning of Christmas.

Available on Netflix

26. Elliot: The Littlest Reindeer

Christmas is approaching. Blitzen just announced his retirement. Santa is in panic. But don’t you fret, Elliot is ready to leave his farm and take on the challenge—or is he?

Available on Netflix

27. Santa Paws 2

“When the Christmas spirit mysteriously begins to disappear, the playful and mischievous Santa Pups—Hope, Jingle, Charity and Noble—must race to save Christmas.”

Available on Disney+

28. 12 Pups of Christmas

“Struggling to keep his dog GPS locator company afloat, Martin expects his new hire, Erin, to help him save the company and find homes for 12 puppies that were left behind after a photo shoot. As they work together, Erin and Martin begin to discover each other’s positive qualities and find love just in time for the holidays.”

Available on Hulu

29. A Puppy for Christmas

When Noelle’s new puppy gets her evicted, she is forced to spend the holidays with a coworker. Once sparks start to fly, her ex shows up creating a love triangle and making Noelle choose only one man.

Available on Hulu

30. The Christmas Chronicles

After crashing the sleigh, Kate and Teddy Pierce must help St. Nick deliver toys.

Available on Netflix

31. A Bad Moms Christmas

With Christmas fast approaching, Amy, Karla and Kiki are challenged when their mothers come to visit.

Available on Netflix

I hope you are able to find at least a few movies you like off of my list. Now, go make your hot cocoa, grab your blanket and turn on a movie! You deserve it.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.