Christmas Confectionaries: Top 5 Candies to Stuff Your Stocking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I don’t know about you, but nothing stuffs my stocking more than a thick sock filled with my favorite candies (literally). Unveiling the bite-sized goodies in my stocking is personally one of the best parts of Christmas morning. 

Since I was little, my brother and I have woken up at ungodly hours on Christmas morning. We’d swiftly make our way down the stairs and into the living room where we’d quietly unpack our stockings of candies and gifts. Santa always hid miniature presents in our stockings, and it was always fun to see what he had in store for that year. Sometimes it was socks, but I honestly didn’t mind––in my opinion, socks are still an awesome gift. But it was always a guarantee that our favorite candies would be there in spades.

Each year, we’d receive different candies based on our individual preferences; and today I’m here to share with you a few of my favorite candies that I hope for in my stocking each year.

Before I begin, I’d like to preface this rather short list by saying that my taste in chocolate is nowhere near refined. My palette is very much resemblant of that of a five-year-old, yet I am not sorry one bit. If you’re looking for a list of boxes of chocolates or fancy candies, I’d suggest you’d stop reading now for fear of disappointment and distaste. If you’re looking for cheap kid’s candy then you’ve come to the right place. 

Here are my top 5 candies that are worth writing a letter to Santa about. Trust me, it’s snow joke.

1. Hershey’s Santas

Each year, I yearn for the delectable flavor that only Hershey’s Santas can provide. The past few years, I’ve been disappointed to find an absence of them in my stocking, yet I’ve persisted and put on a real campaign for them to make a reappearance this year (are you reading, Mom?). Of all the many varieties of Hershey’s candies and editions, there is something about Hershey’s Santas that brings joy to my world. Nevertheless, this is my absolute favorite Christmas candy and the first one I chow down on each year after I’ve revealed all of my stocking’s sweets.

2. Reese’s Trees

This candy is a close second. As a certifiable peanut butter addict, there is no doubt that these would rank near the top of my list. Although there are many versions of this classic candy, the Reese’s tree is the best because it has the greatest amount of peanut butter. I may be a sucker for chocolate, but the whole idea of a Reese’s candy is to taste the peanut butter, so to have it in excess is a real treat during the holiday season. 

3. York Peppermint Patties

After eating such hefty amounts of chocolate on Christmas day, I find it refreshing to cool off by eating a bite-sized chocolate with a minty center. Although I’m typically not a fan of minty treats, I have a special spot in my heart for a York peppermint patty and the refreshing flavor they bring on Christmas morning. They may not be as calorie-free as they feel, but Christmas calories don’t count anyway, right?

4. Skittles

I have a love-hate relationship with receiving Skittles as Christmas candy. On the one hand, they’re a great, fruity snack year-round; but on the other hand, I find the holiday blend downright repulsive. As long as I receive the original flavors with holiday-decorated packaging, this will deck my halls. But if I don’t, it’ll be a blue Christmas for me.

5. M&Ms

The final candy on my list is perfect for any holiday… or any day, really. I wouldn’t be disappointed to receive M&Ms on any day of the year, but they’re perfect to fill my stocking and tide me over for the remainder of the holiday season. Though they may not be special, there’s something about red and green candy bites that really helps me get into the Christmas mood. 

I hope this list has put you into the holiday spirit. Maybe you’re even warming up the family truckster and getting ready to head to Wally World (Walmart, of course). Either way, there is always a Christmas confection ready to meet your every candy craving this holiday season. Don’t forget to pick them up before they’re gone or yule be sorry.

Brianna Strohbehn is a junior at Winona State University and a small-town girl from central Iowa. Brianna is studying English, double majoring in writing and applied and professional writing with hopes of someday becoming an editor at a publishing firm. When she isn't writing, Brianna enjoys thrifting, reading, exploring her new home in Winona, and spending time with family and friends.
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.