Career

From Childhood Dreams to Realities: How to Become an Astronaut for NASA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

May 5 is National Astronaut Day, and in honor of the brave souls who find travel into the unknown intriguing, there are a lot of steps to becoming part of this extremely specialized team.

A lot of children dream of becoming an astronaut. However, some of these dreams continued on into adulthood. But what exactly does it take to be an astronaut for NASA?

Before submitting an application, basic requirements must be met: United States Citizenship, a master’s degree in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) field and at least two years of related field experience, to name a few.

Once the minimum requirements have been met, the application can be submitted. There are a few different applications: Civilian Applicants, Active Duty Applicants and Applicants with Flight Experience. The last deadline for applications was March 31. However, there will be another window, most likely, within the next two years.

Dog looking at Earth from Moon
Danie Morgan / Pexels

The applicant will then be asked to complete online assessments. These assessments used to be further along in the application process; however, due to more applications, NASA found it helpful to include the assessments earlier to help narrow down the number of people and make it more time-efficient.

If the applicant checks off each bullet point and passes all assessments, then there is a possibility of selection. Once selected, the applicant will officially be part of the Astronaut Candidate Training Program in Houston (Yes… the famous Houston from “Houston, we have a problem”) at the Astronaut Office at NASA’s Johnson Space Center. This is where the participants of the training program will complete training and multiple evaluations for about two years. This training includes military water survival, scuba qualifications, spacewalk training and more.

After all of this, if the applicant makes it through “International Space Station systems training, spacewalk skills training, robotics skills training, Russian language training, and aircraft flight readiness training” successfully and to the liking of NASA, then graduation from the Astronaut Candidate Training Program will commence.

study outside
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

At this point, the new astronauts will be considered permanent federal employees if they entered the process through the Civilian Application. If the new astronauts entered through the Active Duty Application, then they “will be detailed to NASA for a specified tour of duty.”

If you are wondering why somebody would go through all of this trouble (as if dreaming about it since childhood weren’t enough), remember that astronauts start out at a six-figure salary per year.  Plus, they get government benefits including health care, retirement plans, life insurance and more.

If you are one of the brave souls who wants to travel into the expanding abyss we call space, then I offer my deepest well wishes, and I hope you give me a shout-out when you make it to the Moon—or even Mars.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!