The Chaos of Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Black Friday is upon us; let the madness begin. A tradition of people gearing up for this time of the year, armor and all, because it is time for the Black Friday rampage. With Black Friday being a select day of the year, we find ourselves searching through ads weeks prior so that we are ready to grab the best sale item on that day.

The Friday after Thanksgiving has been declared as the day for absolute chaos within the world of bargain shopping. It is unofficially the start of holiday season shopping. With door-buster sales and stores remaining open into the early morning, shoppers are tested and pushed to their limits. Many stores, like MACY’s, have even broke traditions of Black Friday shopping by opening on Thanksgiving day, rather than the friday after. This has caused thousands more people to line up in front of store doors waiting for them to open. Many people are driven to find the best deal, and don’t even think about how Black Friday came to be in the first place.

The name “Black Friday” was given to this day for many reasons; it is more than just a bargain hunter’s paradise. The day after Thanksgiving marks the highest portion of consumer spending at many of their favorite stores. The “black” portion of the phrase was given to the day in relation to businesses recording their losses in red ink, and their gains in black ink. Since this tradition lives on, this day was given the name “Black Friday” for the increased amount of revenue generated for many different businesses. With this increase in thousands of people shopping on one day, a lot of things can occur as a result.

Black Friday has been the source of many injuries to the point of fatality at times. We see these various reports come up in many media outlets. People can become so caught up in a specific sale, or consumer good, that they end up completely disregarding everything else in their way. Being a smart Black Friday shopper is just as important as being a safe and observant shopper. Here are a few tips to help get you through Black Friday:

1. Decide what you are looking for in advance.Jumping into Black Friday with no plan can result in failure to grab any sale. Do your research on when stores are opening and plan ahead for the non-stop rush of shoppers.

2. Shop with a group. Find people who you can go shopping with to help you find the best sales. Having people there for you is very important when you want that last TV on sale.

3. Park smart!Park in an open parking lot away from the store. You do not want to get caught in the long line of cars that are heading to the next store when you are finished.

4. Shop Online!If you don’t want to dip into the chaos of in-store Black Friday shopping, shop online. A lot of stores offer great deals through online buying, which has also become one of the most frequently used methods of Black Friday shopping. Cuddle up in some warm slippers and your favorite hot chocolate and levitate the craziness.

5. Re-evaluate your purchases.Sometimes we can become swept up in the excitement of Black Friday and find ourselves making impulse buys. Always keep receipts and return any items you don’t feel great about after the Black Friday buzz.

Black Friday is coming up fast, so we need to know how to shop smart and stay safe, while still enjoying the thrill of Black Friday shopping. As stores gear up for this day of bargain nabbing, we need to gear up also as smart consumer shoppers. As the holiday shopping extravaganza kicks off this Friday, always keep in mind the coming together of the season and the power of giving.

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.
Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.