Care-Package Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

October

Octob

Oct

Oc

Co

Cook

Cooki

Cookies!

As the weather gets colder and the holidays roll around, baking is a necessity! Because it’s National Cookie Month, you get all 31 days of October to cleanse the dorm halls/apartment/house with the well-known scent of fresh-baked cookies. Too many recipes and not enough stomach storage? I’ve gathered a list of cookies that last—these cookies will stay fresh for over a week in containers and are perfect to send in a care package to your bestie. Too bad you can’t send the milk, too.

1.  Christina, an Italian cook in LA, shares her “Back-to-School Cookie” recipe. This recipe is healthy and easy for when you have that sweet tooth during stressful times. You can freeze the dough or the already-baked treat. Personalize the recipe by swapping different kinds of cereal or fruit.

2.  Have a gluten allergy? Christina’s “Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookie” recipe doesn’t require flour of any sort. Considering all college students have peanut butter in their dorm, you won’t have to eat it on a spoon anymore. Grab a PB cookie and you’re set!

3.  Chris, food blogger on “The Café Sucre Farine,” gives us the recipe for her famous “I Want to Marry You Cookie.” Craving a little bit of everything? Sweet, salty, crunchy, chewy; they have it all! These cookies have ample flavors that marry on every bite. Send these in a package to your significant other and they’ll drop their jaw (or their knee).

4.  What’s a food article without Martha Stewart? With multiple cookbooks and her own blog, Martha entrusts us with her recipe for “Mocha Slice Cookies.” With 2 tablespoons of espresso, you’ll have no trouble skipping your daily nap. Maybe not the best as a bedtime snack, but suitable for an afternoon pick-me-up while walking to your third lecture of the day. Send them (not all of them, duh) off in saran wrap tied with a ribbon during the holidays or finals week.

5.  We all want that sweet treat that’s not too sweet, but sweet enough it’s actually salty, ya know? “Crunchy Biscotti Cookies” are a blessing to us through author and cook Dana Velden. Because of the dry, crispy texture of these cookies, they’ll make it through the mail and back—probably not back, though. You can substitute Dana’s pistachios and dried cranberries with hazelnuts and chocolate chips for a richer flavor.

Now that your mouth is watering, get out your mixing bowl! As easy as it is to bake the Halloween store-bought cookie dough, any hall-mate or far away friend will be amazed that you took the time and effort to bake them a batch of homemade cookies—and they last! Take a break from studying and FaceTime with a friend as you munch a cookie together.

Cookie Recipes:

1

2

3

4

5

Gretchen is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Health Ed and Phy Ed with minors in Adaptive PE and Adventure Ed! She enjoys all things outdoors, she's a peanut butter fanatic, and Proverbs 31:26 is her favorite Bible verse. Gretchen is an RA in the resident halls and a Small Group Leader for a campus ministry, and she enjoys all the Lord equips her to do!
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.