Can I Say “I Love You” First?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Dear Guydance,

Is it okay for a girl to say “I love you” first?

Sincerely,

Anon

Dear Anon,

I love this question. It’s a common one for girls and hopefully I can help you out!

Some guys, as you know, can be blind and dumb when it comes to love. They don’t want to fall into the “sappy” part of being “in love” so they put this off as long as they can. Some men are completely okay with saying it first and some are absolutely terrified by the whole idea of it. You must remember that love is a huge concept. It’s the bond formed between two people, both emotionally and physically. But if you truly feel it, there’s no reason to hide it.

In the grand scheme of things I don’t believe it matters who says “I love you” first in a relationship. I believe that if you feel it you should say it. One of the biggest regrets in our lives can be that we don’t say “I love you” enough to the people who matter the most to us. I know this can be an absolutely terrifying experience but when it’s finally said there’s a weight lifted off your shoulders. Don’t worry about him not saying it back because if you say it and mean it with all your heart, he most likely feels it as well. If he doesn’t, there’s a different conversation that should be had.

So please learn from Blair and Chuck, tell your man that you love him and don’t look back.

Sincerely,

Adam Bartusek

Adam Bartusek is a Senior double majoring in Communication Studies and Recreation Tourism with a Minor in Coaching. On weekends you can either find him on the ice/open water fishing, shooting hoops, golfing, watching sports on TV, or having a few cold ones with some friends. He is a firm believer in quotes and that if you don’t like reading, you just haven’t found the right book yet. As of now he is currently working on finishing a series of four books he hopes to publish! Be sure to check out his Outdoor Media Company Team Yukon Outdoors as well.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.