Boston Career Forum: A Day for Japanese Gathering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Can you imagine seeing lots of Japanese students wearing suits for job interviews at a certain period of time in some U.S. cities?

Boston has the biggest career forum for English-Japanese bilingual students which took place from November 9-11 this year. This means that both Japanese students and other international students who also speak Japanese are able to participate.Therefore, two weeks ago, I went to Boston to find my job in the future. Basically in Japan, after becoming a senior student, they usually start job hunting. But they prepare for it in advance, typically during junior year, which is also why I went because I’m a junior! You can see a lot of Japanese influences in Boston during this month, so I felt like I was back in Japan for awhile.

After this career forum, I had time to see around Boston. I’m going to introduce good tourist spots where I went.

Boston is also a cold region, but there is no comparison of cold weather between Winona and in Boston. Boston is TOO cold for me! I stayed in the hotel near ChinaTown, so I could have Chinese hot pot to be warm with my friend. It is similar to Japanese hot pot. If you are interested in this, I highly recommend eating it to get all warmed up. Check the store out here!

Boston is also famous for their prestigious higher education institutions, like Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Among them, I visited Harvard University! Just like WSU, the campus is really large! There are beautiful historical buildings in there, such as the cafeteria which was the stage of the Hogwart from the Harry Potter movies, and many tourists enjoyed taking pictures in front of the statue of Harvard. Most of them were touching his left toe because there are superstitions that if you touch the toe of it, you can become intelligent!

One of the famous tourist spots is Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (MFA)! This museum has close connections with Japan, so there are lots of Japanese arts and a beautiful garden. I had only 1.5 hours to look around it, but I still enjoyed my brief time there. From September 22 to January 6, 2019, there is a special exhibition called “Winnie-the Pooh; Exploring a Classic.” I could not go to it, but there are many cute goods of Pooh. Therefore, you can enjoy not only seeing arts but also shopping!

Get more information from their website.

I knew clam chowder is the most famous food in Boston! So on the final day, I went to Quincy Market to have clam chowder and lobster roll! I had not eaten seafood for a long time after coming to here, so these were super delicious!        

Click here.

If you want to buy cute souvenirs from Boston, I recommend you to go “Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum.” I had studied World History in high school, so I knew about the Boston Tea Party incident but I’m not sure whether or not it was a famous historical incident in the U.S. I guess the harbor of Boston changed to British tea flavor?

This is the first time I got to visit the East Coast in the U.S. It looks similar to my hometown of Tokyo. I had not used the subway in awhile since I came here, so it reminds me of my usual lifestyle in Tokyo. Boston is a nice place to have seafood and Asian food, to see beautiful harbors and parks, and to touch historical things! I hope I can go there again.

Boston common:

Public library:

Waterfront:

If you are interested in working in Japan, click here.

Haruka Mase

Winona '20

Haruka Mase, a Japanese exchange student in WSU. Her major is regional development studies, She studies about the way to improve our environment such as water, forest, air, etc. This is for the first time for her to study in the U.S.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.