Becky Daubert\'s cat Oatmeal
Becky Daubert\'s cat Oatmeal
Becky Daubert

Benefits of Having a Furry Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Since it has been over a year since I have had my beautiful cat, Oatmeal, I thought it would be fun to share some benefits of having a pet. Oaty and I have had our fair share of ups and downs, but despite that, she has been the most perfect companion I could have ever asked for. 

1. Pets can be amazing support animals!! 

This is probably my biggest selling point for having a pet, hence why it is number one. When I first had Oaty, she would run away when I would start crying, which was upsetting, to say the least. Now, she not only cuddles with me, but she’ll sometimes even put a paw on my hand and look up at me with her sweet, blue eyes to let me know she’s there for me. It may take a lot of time for you and your pet to get to know one another, but once they understand you, it’s a really beautiful relationship. 

2. You are never alone!! 

Some days I do not want to be around people, and I just want to spend some quality time with Oaty (not just because she’s needy). It’s also nice every night having my little snuggle buddy with me. Plus, you have a little furry friend to play with who will watch all your favorite shows/movies with you.

3. You will never have a dull moment with a pet!! 

Oaty is always keeping me on my toes; she’s a troublemaker for sure! Yet, I would never change a single moment for anything else. Sure, she might try to eat plastic or try to lick the toilet water, but I could not have asked for a better pet to have than her. I think that’s one of the most fulfilling parts of having a pet—finding the perfect one for you.

Getting Oatmeal was one of the best decisions I ever made; I love having her around and being able to introduce her to my friends and family as well. She’s helped me through some tough times by just being a comfort to have and cuddle with me. I strongly recommend getting a pet because there are a lot of benefits and they are wonderful companions to have. There’s no bond stronger than the one you make with a little furry friend.

Becky Daubert is a student at Winona State University with a double-major in English Literature/Language and Applied and Professional Writing, and a minor in Music. She has a passion for writing and her hobbies, on top of reading, also include writing articles on music, and hiking.