Bekah Bailey: Homecoming Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We have royalty among us, WSU! This campus celebrity has recently been named Winona State University’s 2015 Homecoming Queen. With all of Bekah Bailey’s accomplishments and her involvement around campus, it is safe to say that she represents Winona well and her title is well deserved. We were pleased to have the opportunity to get to know Bekah better.

Photo by Nicole Cullinan 

Bekah and her good friend Taylor Moon decided to run for homecoming royalty after campaigning together for Student Senate elections. With all of her involvement on campus, Bekah is definitely fit to represent our university.  Bekah says that she was so excited to be crowned queen and what made the experience even better is that Taylor was named her king.

Photo by Taylor Nyman

When Bekah isn’t busy reigning as our new queen, you can find her in the Performing Arts Center. With a double major in Communication Studies and Theatre, Bekah is busy with a variety of classes. Originally, Bekah came to Winona as an eager Nursing major with hopes of getting into the program and working at  Mayo Clinic. As fate may have it, her plans changed and she couldn’t be happier. Bekah has been involved in Theatre since she was a little girl and that love drew her to make it her major. After declaring a Theatre major, her friend suggested the Leadership and Advocacy option in the Communications Studies program and Bekah knew that that major would be the perfect addition to her studies. Bekah says that she loves everything that she is learning every day.

Someday, Bekah would love to put her studies into action and ideally work for a “super cool non-profit company” where she can work on hands-on projects. Her dreams also include continuing to stage-manage. Whatever Bekah ends up pursuing in her future, she believes that loving what you do is the most important key to happiness.

Currently, Bekah is stage-managing WSU’s fall show, Elephant’s Graveyard. While she likes to act, she is truly passionate about stage management. Be sure to check out Elephant’s Graveyard on October 14th to the 17th at the Mainstage Theatre in the PAC.

Along with stage-managing, Bekah is a Liberal Arts seat in Student Senate here on campus. Bekah first became involved in Senate when she realized that some of the things she is most passionate about were best represented through Senate. She enjoys knowing that her involvement helps better WSU and the Winona community as a whole. Last year, as Chair of the Inclusion and Diversity committee of Senate, Bekah helped create a meditation room in Kryzsko. After hearing about students needs for a convenient and safe place to pray or meditate on campus, Bekah, the rest of the committee, and other passionate people worked their magic. There is now a welcoming and safe space on campus that can be used by anyone of any faith or spirituality. Bekah encourages all students, faculty, and staff to check out the meditation room for themselves.

When Bekah isn’t behind the stage or sitting at Senate meetings, you can find her as treasurer for two different clubs on campus. She is involved in the Wenonah Players, the oldest club here at WSU that is involved in connecting those interested in the THAD (Theatre and Dance) department with each other. The other club that she is treasurer for is Full Spectrum. Full Spectrum is, according to Bekah, “an organization that promotes diversity and equality for all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.” Full Spectrum welcomes anyone who identifies themselves along the LGBT*QIA+ spectrum and their allies.

In three words, Bekah describes herself as passionate, loud, and strong. After briefly interviewing our 2015 Homecoming Queen, I would have to add dedicated, busy, and kind, as well.

Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.