Banks of Knowledge: 10 Things My Grandparents Have Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In honor of National Grandparents Day on September 13, I am going to share with you some knowledge that has been passed on to me. Some people don’t get the opportunity to meet and learn from their grandparents. However, I am one of the lucky ones. My grandparents have taught me things in nearly every aspect of life, and I am here to share 10 of them with you.

1. Cars

My Grandpa Paul always told me that if I don’t know how to change oil or a tire, then I shouldn’t be driving. Him and my dad taught me side-by-side how to change my car’s oil, tires, brake line, gas tank and more. Meanwhile, there are people who don’t even know how much air they should put in their tire!

pink toy car in bright setting
Photo by Terri Cnudde from Unsplash

2. Christmas Cookies

My Grandma Karen and Grandma Sue have passed on numerous recipes. In fact, my Grandma Karen made me a copy of her entire recipe book! My favorite thing to cook with either of them was Christmas cookies. Batches upon batches filled each household with the delicious aroma of sugary traditions. I can’t wait to continue the tradition every Christmas and make my future husband and kids cookies.

Spoon Csu-Blueberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Brook Buchan / Spoon

3. Faith

My Grandma Karen and Grandpa Dave were the ones that took me to church and taught me nearly all that I know about my religion. If it wasn’t for them, I would definitely be a little more lost in this world.

4. Fishing

This one is another shoutout to my Grandpa Paul. I don’t know why, but my childhood fishing memories almost always involve him or my dad. To this day, fishing is a big stress relief for me, and I can’t thank them enough. From baiting hooks to driving boats, these two men taught me it all.

Person Alone on a dock
Pexels

5. Games

Whether it was card games like Go Fish or dice games like Chicken, all of my grandparents have taught me a thing or two. I have a favorite game from each grandparent. Grandpa Paul taught me War and Go Fish, Grandma Sue taught me 7 Up, and Grandpa Dave and Grandma Karen taught me Chicken.

6. Gardening

Growing up, I lived with my Grandma Sue and Grandpa Paul for quite a few years. My Grandpa Paul taught me every aspect of gardening from small carrots to big corn stalks. I don’t know why, but weeding the garden on warm summer days with my Grandpa Paul are still very fond memories to me.

Girl At Farm
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

7. Handy-Work

My bed back home is a wooden-framed bed that my Grandpa Paul made for me with the help of my uncle and dad. My Grandpa Dave constantly makes shelving for my Grandma Karen. Through all of that and much more, I have learned a thing or two when it comes to building things. It is yet another stress relief of mine to build bookshelves. 

Eugen Str
Eugen Str / Unsplash

8. Love and Kindness

My grandparents are always the ones reminding me to be the kindness in a world full of chaos. Not only that, but all of these things that they have taught me combine to show me how much they truly care for me.

9. Resilience

Each of my grandparents have had their own struggles in life. My Grandpa Paul and Grandpa Dave were in the military. My Grandma Sue has lived with mental illnesses. Each of their stories have taught me countless lessons about life and how it is important to maintain a positive outlook, even in the darkest of tunnels.

10. Sports

One of my favorite pastimes is watching (or playing) sports. This is all thanks to my Grandma Sue. Every rule of baseball, basketball and football that is stored in this noggin of mine is all due to the endless hours of sports channels that are played on my grandparents’ TV. 

footballs on wall
Hence the Boom

Wow! I haven’t realized how seriously insane I would be without these therapeutic activities that my grandparents have taught me! This list barely begins to cover the countless things my grandparents have instilled in my brain. I love each of them so much, and they are all unique and special in so many ways. I can’t wait to pass on all of this knowledge and wisdom to my future kids (and hopefully grandkids). 

Thank you, Grandma Sue, Grandma Karen, Grandpa Paul, and Grandpa Dave, for all of the memories and skills you have shared with me.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.