Attitude and Gratitude: People and Things I am Grateful for in Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Gratitude: defined as “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.”

It’s no coincidence that November is National Gratitude Month. Thanksgiving is the national holiday to give thanks, but why limit it to a single day? There are many reasons to be grateful. So, I will be naming a few things I am thankful for; and because sometimes life gets gloomy, I will be naming a few things others can have gratitude for because those small, but wonderful things can get cloudy for everyone. 

My list: Family, and significant other. 

These are very cheesy, unoriginal ideas, but I am still extremely grateful. 

My family is a crazy bunch: it’s confusing and doesn’t always make sense. But the family members that I am close to are my favorite people. They are there for me in some of my most difficult times. They’re all my best friends, siblings, cousins, mom, grandma, etc. It’s never a dull moment when we’re together. Although we are all busy with our separate lives now, we still remain close and full of love. I am full of gratitude to have my family and their love.

My significant other is not only my boyfriend, but he is also my best friend. To find someone who loves you wholeheartedly is a blessing that I don’t take for granted. I am so thankful for him and for his love. Not only do I have a lot of love for him, but I have love for his family as well. They allow me to live with them while in school and during the summer, of course. Not only do they allow me to stay with them, but they are happy to do so. Not everyone is as open and welcoming as them, and I have so much gratitude for them welcoming me into their home with open arms.

Other things: Friends, hobbies, nature. 

Don’t get me wrong: I am very grateful for these people and things as well. But I believe it is a broader section that almost everyone can relate to. 

Friends are some of the most important people in your life. They don’t have to be in your life and support you. But they choose to do so because they feel a connection with you. Everything they do in the friendship is based simply on the fact that they genuinely care about you and want to spend time with you. Having gratitude for these people that choose to stay with you in life is easy to do. And I’m sure you all feel that gratitude for them. 

Having hobbies and interests that you enjoy spending time doing is great! You can either do these things with others or by yourself; you may feel a sense of accomplishment while pursuing your hobbies or interest. It may bring you a feeling of peace or excitement! Having these things in your life that you are good at or that push you to strive for better are incredibly beneficial. Hobbies and interests can bring on new opportunities, or they may just bring a passion to your life. To be grateful for each of them is an easy way to have a positive outlook on your life and yourself. If it seems everything in life is going the wrong way, you still have these things to keep you going. 

When I say nature I don’t necessarily mean you are someone who loves going and doing activities outside. That may be what it means for you and that’s great! But I’m thinking something even simpler, like just noticing how beautiful nature is. The sunsets and rises with beautiful colors stretching the sky. The leaves turn bright colors before falling on the ground, leaving a satisfying crunch sound as you walk to your car. The snow that drapes the ground is a bright white that looks like a beautiful winter wonderland. The sky turns a deep blue-grey color before the rain that falls from the clouds leaves a peaceful tapping sound on your window. Being in awe of the natural beauty around you is something to easily be grateful for. 

Jada is currently a sophomore at Winona State majoring in secondary social studies education. She enjoys writing about things she knows are familiar and may be relatable to others. When she’s not writing, Jada enjoys being with friends and family, reading about politics and history, and petting any animal she sees!
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!