This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I have been watching American Idol for as long as I can remember, way back to the days of season one. Attending the American Idols Live tour always seemed like a dream that I could never achieve, especially after the show was cancelled a few years ago.

I was so excited when they decided to bring the show back this year, and I knew I had to get tickets for the tour. To my surprise, tickets were fairly inexpensive, so I jumped on those right away.

Months later, the day had finally come. I was going to get to see the American Idols in concert, and I was super pumped!

Now, I consider myself to be fairly unobservant to my surroundings (which I have noticed is a bad thing). My brother and I were walking to the venue when someone who looked very familiar passed by. I stared him down in an uncomfortable way because he looked at me weird as well. It took me half a block to realize that that was Kris Allen, the winner of American Idol season 8.

I had missed my opportunity to say “hi” and possibly take a picture with this sexy man, who I watched relentlessly on the show as a kid.

Going into the venue a little shocked and disappointed, I was pleasantly surprised at how good our seats were. We had a nice little balcony all to ourselves, which seemed cool at first.

Unfortunately, this was unlike any concert I had ever been to before. I am really into live music, and I am not afraid to get excited about it. But, the vibe of this concert was strange. The attendees varied in ages from babies to grandparents, which in hindsight makes sense because it is a family-oriented show. This also meant that not ONE person got out of their seats at any point of the concert. 

It didn’t feel as if I was a part of the concert; it felt like I was weirdly observing a concert happening. You may be thinking, well maybe it’s because I didn’t get floor seats, but you would be wrong. Because everyone on the floor remained seated and completely calm the entire time as well.

I can’t imagine how performing to an entire room of seated, quiet people would feel to the American Idol acts.

Aside from the weird vibe in the room, the American Idols actually were incredibly talented. I had a couple favorites that stood out among the others, though.

First, Cade Foehner. In my opinion, he should have gone farther on the show. His performances had me literally on the edge of my seat, speechless and staring intently. His voice is incredible, and it doesn’t hurt how attractive he is.

Want to know another reason why his performances were so good? He was the only one who had an actual production value to his performance. Every time he came out, there were different lights, light shows, and fog machines. He was playing guitar in the coolest way I have ever seen live.

Every other performance was just the person on stage with normal lights, which made it harder to get into the fact that this was a professional concert.

I figured with how much money this show must make each year that the concert would have been put together better than it was.

They didn’t even have a band to play the music; they had one person that they kept thanking for being their one-man band.

With almost every performance, other idols were on stage playing various instruments or singing background vocals. It all seemed fairly thrown together and random.

Aside from all of that, Caleb Lee Hutchinson had one of the best country vocals that I had ever heard live. He has the most beautiful classic country voice, and his performances were so cool to watch.

Overall, would I recommend this tour to others? Yes and no. I can honestly say that every single performance was really good, and all of them are incredibly talented. I think if any of them were to go on tour separately, it would be a great show to see. But for some reason, the American Idol setup just did not do it for me. I did still enjoy it, but it was nowhere near the best concert I have seen. So if you are not a huge fan of the contestants of the year or American Idol in general, I do not think you would enjoy it as much as I did.

Lauren Lott

Winona '19

Meet Lauren Lott, she is a writer for Winona State Her Campus. Lauren is an English Literature major with a minor in Public Relations. In her free time, she enjoys reading, working out, hanging out with friends, watching an excessive amount of youtube videos, and drinking coffee.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.