This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Spring break has arrived and you can’t wait to go on the tropical vacation that you have been planning and saving for for months. You get your suitcase all packed up and start your journey to the airport, excited to see what awaits you on your spring extravaganza. All of a sudden you wake up from your daydream and remember that you are at work and you aren’t going on a tropical vacation. While you wish you were, you remind yourself that you need the money and this spring break is all about work and no play.

Now, don’t get me wrong. You make plans with your friends and you mostly binge-watch shows you haven’t seen yet. But you know that you have responsibilities and while you live vicariously through your friends’ Snapchat stories and Facebook posts, you know that what you are doing is right and you will be thankful that you did it in the long run.

Being in high school and always going on trips to college where you haven’t gone on a single spring break trip since you started makes you realize the difference between the two. In high school you just had to worry about school, friends, and sports. In college you have to manage your entire life down to the last detail. You don’t have your mom or dad planning out everything you are doing and it completely changes your perspective.

The nice thing for me is that with my job I have the option to go home so I get to spend quality time with my family and my dog. While not everyone has that option, you can definitely make the most of your time by doing things that you may not have time to do when classes are in session. Don’t let yourself feel defeated just because you aren’t sipping mai tais on the beach.

It does sound luxurious, but I wouldn’t trade the time I get with my family for the world. You just have to find the positivity in whatever you are doing and you are bound to have a great time. Find a good book or a new show to watch. Working doesn’t have to consume everything during spring break, but remember that even though you are home mostly for work, you can definitely throw some play in there.

Meet our writer Alyson Rhoades! Originally from Golden Valley, MN and a graduate of Armstrong High School, Alyson is majoing in Mass Communication Advertising. You can usually catch Alyson belting out songs in her car or getting her coffee fix at Caribou Coffee. She is an avid photographer and believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every year she does the walk for Alzheimers hoping one day to find a cure for an awful disease. She loves to travel and hopes to one day to travel to countries outside of the U.S. Her ideal place to go on vacation is the beach in Florida, which she gets to do every year during Thanksgiving break. Alyson hopes to continue to work hard to be the change she wishes to see in the world as she pursues a career as a Creative Director within the advertising world.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.