Adopt Your New Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I’ve always had at least one pet in my house for as long as I can remember, but those belong to the whole family. This past summer, however, my boyfriend and I adopted a cat (Nutmeg) from the Winona Area Humane Society. It was a bit of a hard transition as Nutmeg had a hard time not being around cats, but he’s come a long way and he is our absolute baby.

National Love Your Pet Day is February 20, and if you’ve been looking for a sign to adopt (not BUY) a new buddy, this is it! Here are some reasons to adopt instead of shop (with some pictures of Nutmeg thrown in).

1. Cats (and dogs) from a humane society are just as loving as any others. Seriously, there have been numerous times I’ve visited the Humane Society in Winona only to be climbed on by two or more cats at a time! They’re very sweet.

2. Even though Winona’s Humane Society is a no-kill shelter, other shelters do euthanize when there’s not enough room for more animals. Adopting from a shelter opens up more space for other animals in need.

3. Some animals are brought in as strays (like Nutmeg), but others are surrenders due to abuse or the passing of their owner. Adopting allows the animal to finish out their life in a happy, loving environment.

4. There are so, so, so many animals just sitting in shelters in need of homes. Adopting them instead of buying from a pet store helps out the animals who need it most. We don’t need more cats and dogs when there are plenty of wonderful ones in the shelters.

5. You could meet the love of your life!!! Well, animal love of your life. I thought I was obsessed with my dog from home, but my love for Nutmeg is crazy. <3

If you already have a pet, give them some extra love on National Love Your Pet Day. And if you’re not necessarily looking for a new friend, you can still go visit the Winona Area Humane Society and give the cats some love! They’ll be sure to return the favor.

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski