Adam Kazilsky: Biking Across The U.S.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

How many people can say that they’ve biked over 4,000 miles across the U.S.?  Well, one of our own Winona State University students will be taking on this challenge and his name is Adam Kazilsky. Adam is a senior, majoring in Recreation and Tourism. With a major in this field, traveling across the United States on bike seems to fit his personality.

Adam will be biking across ten states and over both the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains, with the goal of finishing in just three weeks. This entire race is self-supported, which means that it is all up to him to find shelter and food each day. If there are any mechanical problems with his bike, he will become the mechanic and try to fix whatever is needed. When Adam was asked what he thinks will be the most challenging part of his journey, he responded, “The biggest issue that racers have faced, and that I too expect to find the most difficult, is when the fatigue and exhaustion sets in.”

Biking for three weeks straight with little sleep sounds like a major challenge that requires a lot of training prior to beginning. Adam bikes about 100-300 miles a week and increases his mileage as the race gets closer. That is a lot of training, but he will be well prepared for this race when it comes time to start!

Bike riding has been a passion of Adam’s since he was 15 years old, which is when he partook in a bicycle tour around Lake Michigan with a dozen other kids. We asked how he was inspired to start these biking challenges and he stated that he’s, “he’s been inspired by many people, but I couldn’t be where I am today without the support of my parents.” His family and friends will be able to help him through his journey via cell-phone, which Adam will try to respond to with the little downtime that he will have.

This race sounds extremely difficult and adventurous, but we still wanted to know why Adam is partaking in this challenge.

“I do these rides for the same reason people climb mountains – because they’re there. I don’t want to regret not taking this opportunity further down the line.”

This is an amazing story that one of our own WSU students will be partaking in and we have the opportunity to support his trip! Adam is accepting donations to help finance his race at: www.gofundme.com/kazontwowheels. “Every dollar helps, and I even have some cool things you’ll get in return! I’ll also be posting updates via the website, so it’s a good way to follow along.”

Adam Kazilsky is an inspiration to all and wanted to leave us with an inspiring message: “It’s not about how fast you move forward – as long as you’re moving forward. Life is too short to gamble on the chance to do something great later.”

Thank you so much, Adam, for sharing your journey with us and we cannot wait to follow you through your amazing journey. GOOD LUCK!

Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.