This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Queen Ari has done it again: she released yet another #1 hit song that will not stay out of everyone’s head. In honor of her recent release of “7 Rings,” I have decided to (attempt to)  recreate one of her makeup looks from the “7 Rings” music video.

All I had to use as reference was the music video itself, and these two pictures from Ariana Grande’s Instagram account.

I will give a step-by-step tutorial of how I achieved a similar look, and also give you a list of all of the products I used to achieve it at the end (which was not many, and I used everything I already owned).  

This was my finished look, so if you want to see how to get it yourself keep reading!

I decided it would be smart to start with the eye makeup since it is complicated, and if I messed it up I could wipe it off and start over without ruining the face makeup I had done. Thankfully, I only had to re-do one part of the eyeliner.

To start off, use concealer to prime your eyelids and under your eyes as well. Set the concealer you use with a skin-colored powder.

Step 1: Blend a small amount of a cool-toned brown eyeshadow in the crease. Then put any light creme eyeshadow all over the lid.

Step 2: Using either a pencil or gel black eyeliner, sketch out the wing line that goes across the eyelid. Make it a straight, diagonal line from your outer corner to your inner corner.

Step 3: Fill in the wing with the same black eyeliner. Top the wing with any black or very dark eyeshadow to make it look softer and a little smudgy.

Step 4: Use a black liquid eyeliner to draw out the shape of the eyeliner in the crease. Draw it from the inner corner through the crease following the natural shape of your eye.

Step 5: Draw a line from the end of your eyebrow diagonally to the line you drew in the crease.

Step 6: Sketch out the triangle and drag the line down to make the curve on the outside of the eye. This is the step that gave me some issues. I messed with the placement of that curved eyeliner multiple times before it looked how I like it, so you might have to play around with it a little bit.

Step 7: Fill in the triangle and the curved liner.

Step 8: Clean up any lines by using black eyeshadow to smudge them.

Step 9: Use any glitter eyeliner, glitter eyeshadow, or anything sparkly to accent the eye look.

Those are all of the steps for the eye look! It was actually pretty simple, and only used a variety of eyeliners for the most part.

For the rest of the face, start off by doing all of your normal steps for your face makeup and eyebrows. The only difference I did with my face makeup routine was to make my eyebrows a little darker, and make my highlight and contour stronger than usual. To attempt to copy the look, use a strong glittery highlighter or even an eyeshadow will work as well!

The last step in the look is the black glittery lips. For this, use any black lipstick, lip liner, or even eyeliner. I used a black lip liner by Tarte, and then patted the same glittery eyeshadow on top of the lips!

Now you are done with the look! Here is the finished product featuring (a very short) iconic Ariana ponytail.

I also decided to play around with some editing with my pictures to make them (sort of) look like Ariana’s. I used a combination of the apps VSCO, LD, and Facetune 2 (they have a new neon lighting feature).

Overall, this look was really fun to try to recreate. Let me tell you, though, that trying to pose like Ariana Grande in a picture was SO hard. She really has that downward, sexy look down and I have no idea how she makes it look so effortless. If I were to do it again, I would probably say to draw the line above the crease a little higher to open up the eyelid more, but it is all for fun anyway so it doesn’t really matter. Try it out and make it your own!

List of Products:

Any products that are similar that you already own will work too!

Source for Images

Lauren Lott

Winona '19

Meet Lauren Lott, she is a writer for Winona State Her Campus. Lauren is an English Literature major with a minor in Public Relations. In her free time, she enjoys reading, working out, hanging out with friends, watching an excessive amount of youtube videos, and drinking coffee.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.