This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Since the beginning of the spring semester, I’ve struggled to get into a consistent groove. In the fall my schedule was relatively regulated, but the spring is proving to be much more chaotic. Because of this, I’ve had to lean into some of my favorite things to ground me and prevent stress.

Although these may not be the most glamorous things, these are the items I’ve been appreciating in my life. Whether they provide me entertainment or simplicity, these are the things that put a smile on my face and encourage me to keep going even during the most hectic of days.

Books

This one has probably been on the top of my list recently, especially since the beginning of the year. WIth the rise of BookTok, I’ve put more of a focus on reading.

Although I’m an English major, last year I felt like I spent so much time reading in my classes that I could never read for myself. Since then, I’ve made personal reading a priority, too, because it is my own reading that helped me fall in love with English in the first place.

Since the beginning of the year, I’ve read 9 books––which is astronomical compared to my total of 25 in 2021––and I have no plans of stopping any time soon. I’ve started to transition away from Young Adult and experiment with the types of books I enjoy the most. It’s been a blast, and I’m glad to say I’ve fallen in love with reading again.

Caamp

Lately I’ve been in the mood for new music, and every single song by Caamp is an absolute hit. At this point, I’m convinced they can’t make a bad song––I’ll listen to anything they sing.

If you love folksy bands like The Lumineers (who they’re also traveling with this summer for the BRIGHTSIDE World Tour), you’ll love Caamp.

Check them out––some of my favorite songs are 26, Strawberries, See the World, and So Long, Honey. And if you like these songs, I’m sure you’ll love my playlist, fall feelings, too.

Pretzel Crisps

This may sound super simple, but I’ve been obsessed with Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps for a very long time. I love the original flavor––they’re a perfect snack for any time of day. I constantly eat them when I’m a bit hungry mid-day or during breaks at work.

There are lots of other flavors including Cheddar Cheese and Garlic Parmesan. There are gluten free options, too. Or, if you’re looking for a combination sweet and salty snack, they also have flavors like Dark Chocolate Crunch and Milk Chocolate & Caramel Drizzlers.

Whatever you prefer, there’s an option for you that’s bound to be your new favorite. And if you become as obsessed with them as I am, Sam’s Club has an absolutely massive bag that will last you for a while.

Spotify Car Thing

I had the opportunity to buy a Spotify Car Thing when they first came out and I’ve been in love with mine since the day I got it. I love being able to see information about the song I’m listening to and change the song with the touch of a button. Navigating to different playlists or specific songs is also super easy, and allows passengers to help choose songs without going onto my phone.

The only negative I’ve found with the Car Thing is the way I have to hook up for it to work. The Car Thing connects to my phone via Bluetooth, but my phone must also be plugged into the aux cord because my car doesn’t have Bluetooth audio. This means that I can’t charge my phone without a split connector––which I don’t have––so long trips home are often tainted by the looming threat of a dead phone battery.

Overall, I love the car thing, but wish the connection was a bit more convenient. Nonetheless, Car Thing makes my life easier and keeps the tunes rolling on drives of any length.

Kraft Mac and Cheese + Rapid Mac Cooker

This one probably seems a bit silly, but I have always loved––and will continue loving––mac and cheese. I go through a lot of mac and cheese––it’s the perfect quick lunch during a busy day.

I prefer the character mac and cheese because it’s the perfect serving for a single person. It’s even better because I can now make it in the microwave in my Rapid Mac Cooker, which means it’s ready to eat in less than 10 minutes. And now that I’ve learned there are different colors, I feel like I need one in every style.

My favorite things may seem silly or a little unorthodox, but that’s okay. These are the items that have helped me keep my head on straight to continue focusing on my school, work, and personal life.

If you can take anything from this article, remember to find the little things you enjoy in your own life. Find what makes your life a little more enjoyable, and hold those things (or people) very, very close.

Brianna Strohbehn is a junior at Winona State University and a small-town girl from central Iowa. Brianna is studying English, double majoring in writing and applied and professional writing with hopes of someday becoming an editor at a publishing firm. When she isn't writing, Brianna enjoys thrifting, reading, exploring her new home in Winona, and spending time with family and friends.