photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

The 411 on the Winona Community Warming Center & Other Homeless Resources

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Winona Community Warming Center is open from Nov. 1 to March 31.

Mission: To provide temporary, emergency shelter for adults and the homeless population of Winona County.

Services: Providing a safe and warm overnight stay from November through March. Snacks and coffee are always available, and guests must be checked in between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. (after 10 p.m., visitors will receive a referral to other locations in Winona). 

Volunteering: The Warming Center looks for volunteers for an early shift (8:30 p.m. – 2 a.m.) and a late shift (2 a.m. – 8 a.m.). If you are interested in volunteering you can call the warming center during open hours at (507)-474-5099.

What volunteers do:

• Early shift (8:30 p.m. – 2 a.m.)
    • Help check people into the building
    • Ensure visitors are aware of what the warming center has to offer (shower, food, donated items such as clothes and toothbrushes, games, books, lounge area, etc.)
    • Ensure no one is under the influence and following the rules of the warming center
    • Provide guests with a blanket, sheet cover, pillow and pillow cover
    • Store guests’ belongings in storage bins 
    • Keep track of bed numbers 
    • Interact with guests 
  • Late shift (2 a.m. – 8 a.m.)
    • Ensure guests are safe, and awake and ready to go at 7 a.m.

Fact: 14.5% of Winona County’s population is living in poverty. There are multiple warming centers and other locations in Winona and outside of Winona available to help, including:

1.  Women’s Resource Center

This center is for females who are facing abuse and need a safe place to get away from their abuser.

2.  Dorothy Day Hospitality House

This center is located in Rochester, MN, and primarily serves ages 18 and older, though small families are occasionally housed as well. Guests can stay up to 14 consecutive days.

3.  Simpson Housing

This is an emergency overnight shelter that also provides supportive housing for single adults and families. Simpson reports that homeless and warming shelters for youth are more focused on rehabilitation (getting them into the foster care system, etc.), which could be a reason for youth to avoid shelters altogether, because they don’t want to be put in the system. 

Myths and Misconceptions about Homelessness:

• People do not choose to be homeless
  • Homeless people should just find a job
    • This is the fault of our society, not the person
  • Not all homeless people are addicts
    • Alcoholism and drug addictions are a disease
  • As we would view anyone else, we all have our own struggles as well and they are no less than us
  • Being homeless is not a result of being lazy
  • Just because you’re homeless doesn’t mean you are uneducated, a drug addict/alcoholic, lazy, don’t want to find a job, or a thief 

If you or someone you know identify as homeless, please know that there are many services and centers available to help. You are not alone.

Cover

Lena Zarate

Winona '22

Lena is in her third year at Winona state University, and she's majoring in social work and minoring in criminal justice and ethnic studies. She hopes to get her master’s degree in social work and hopes to work with at risk youth and juvenile delinquents. In her free time she enjoys watching Netflix, playing rugby, watching true crime, volunteering, and listening to music.
Jenna is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Social Work with a minor in Sociology. She hopes to go on to get her Masters and become a clinical social worker working with teens. Jenna was born and raised in Eagan, MN. In her free time she enjoys anything outdoors, painting, singing, and learning about astrology. On her page you will find a range of articles from astrology, to listicles, to serious topics.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.