12 Facts the Movie “Titanic” Left Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

It has been 105 years since the RMS Titanic sank in the Atlantic Ocean, giving us the fictional story of Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater. The ocean liner sunk around 2:30AM on April 15, 1912 after cracking in two. Unfortunately, the movie we all know and love did not get all of the facts right, and some things were left out. Here are 12 facts about the actual Titanic you may or may not know.

1.     It took 20 horses to carry the main anchor because it was so heavy.

2.     600 tons of coal were burned each day, and 100 tons of ash were released each day.

3.     There was a lifeboat drill scheduled for April 14th, but it was cancelled.

4.     It took 26 months to build the Titanic, and two people died in the process.

5.     After leaving Southampton, the ship stopped in France and Ireland to pick up more

passengers before heading to New York.

6.     There were only 16 wooden life boats and four collapsible lifeboats.

7.     There were six warnings about icebergs sent to the Titanic in the few days it sailed.

8.     There were 26 couples on their honeymoon aboard.

9.     There were nine dogs on board, and only two survived.

10.  The water would have been 28 degrees Fahrenheit, and the people in the water wouldn’t have survived more than 15 minutes.

11.  The last dinner the first class passengers had was 11 courses.

12.  And yes, Jack could have fit on the door. MythBusters debunked it.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/Titanic-40-fascinating-facts/

Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.