This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Long-distance relationships are hard. Although we are blessed with the ability to touch a button and be able to see their face, it’s still not the same as being in their presence.

While most of you might imagine a romantic relationship when I talk about this, my mind almost instantly goes to my best friend, Meagan. She is going to school in New York while I decided to stay in Minnesota.

If I wanted to see my best friend, my person, I would have to travel 16 hours and 33 minutes by car or around 5 hours by plane. Some people just have to walk a dorm room away, and they can tell their best friend what they did yesterday; better yet, they probably did something together that day. And even if you aren’t a dorm room away, (maybe you’re an hour or two away), you can still see your best friend more often than once every couple months.

Be thankful for this. I don’t mean to be bitter, but the joy of being able to just hang out in the same room with your best friend is something to treasure.

Treasure the nights you sit on the trampoline and contemplate life and the existence of God.

Treasure the moments of pure glee as you laugh until your stomach hurts when she warms herself up underneath the hand dryer in the movie theater bathroom.

Treasure the sing-a-longs in the front seat of their car to your anthem for the fourth time that day.

Treasure sitting in their old, beat-up car until everyone left the parking lot so no one will hear the screeching sound it makes when they start it up.

Treasure all these beautiful moments.

I love you, Meagan, and I can’t wait to see you soon.

Grace Jacobs

Winona '22

Grace Jacobs is a freshman at Winona State majoring in Elementary Education with an emphasis on Early Childhood. She has worked with kids since she was a kid herself and loves every moment of it. She is from Elk River (which many people haven’t heard of) and was on the speech team there for a couple years and was very excited when she made it to State. This is her first year in Her Campus, and she is very excited to pour her heart into articles on such a great platform. She enjoys painting, writing, hammocking, and hanging out with her friends.