“1121” Reasons to Listen to Halsey’s Newest Album: Reviewing If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

On a long drive back to Winona, I listened to the entirety of Halsey’s new album, If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power and immediately knew I needed to write an article about it. Thankfully, I got around to it so you’re sitting (or standing, or lying) here and reading it now.

Halsey’s newest album covers a range of genres which leaves you rapidly bouncing from one mood to the next and back again. There are also several songs, most notably “The Tradition” and “1121,” that stretched conventional genres by being uniquely beautiful in their own right. All of the songs had amazing lyrics, many with storytelling details that left me listening carefully to every last word.

As a whole, I really enjoyed the album and added some of my favorites to my personal playlists for everyday listening. I may not have been a die-hard Halsey fan before this article, but repeatedly listening to this album may be beginning to change my ideas on the talented artist. Here are my thoughts on her newest album:

The Tradition”

The first thing I loved about this song was the haunting melody and the accompanying piano part. The harmonies in the bridge gave me chills and somehow made this song better than it already was. This is definitely my new go-to for sad girl vibes and is awesome to sing in the car. After listening to the entire album a few times, I can definitely say this is my personal favorite. The storytelling in the song brings out such raw emotion and really started this album with a bang. Not only that, but this song is quite thought-provoking as it discusses social criticisms about how women are treated. I’m still figuring out how, exactly, I interpret the song’s message, but it’s just one more reason to play it on repeat.

Bells in Santa Fe”

Overall, I enjoyed this song for its beat and composition. Personally, I didn’t like the content in the second verse, which is the main reason why I didn’t add this song to any of my playlists. Nonetheless, the chorus is very catchy and I love the contrast between the piano and the techno style that constantly seem to be warring within the song. When I listened to this song late at night on a long drive, the choppy ending was unsettling and almost scary to listen to. The transition into “Easier than Lying” makes it even more surprising as the sudden beat picks up.

Easier than Lying”

Whereas many of the other songs in the album had innovative and unique styles, this song seemed more traditional in the sense that it reminded me of early 2000s rock/pop style. This is a great song to rock out to but doesn’t really match my personal style.

Lilith”

To put it simply, I really enjoyed this song. Although there were unique aspects, it reminded me of Halsey’s older songs that made her famous in the first place. I couldn’t exactly place the reason why, but I just adored this song.

Girl is a Gun”

I thought this song was… interesting to say the least. Overall, the excess of elements in the song left me overwhelmed and not even sure how to analyze it. Although I loved the rest of the album, for the most part, I was at a loss with this song.

You asked for this”

Once again, this song reminded me a lot of an early-2000s rock/pop song. Although the song seems pretty generic in the beginning, towards the end it takes a different turn and sounds ethereal as she repeats all the things she wants, and it becomes increasingly more unsettling with the following “ohs” and the building of the guitar accompaniment. This song may not have wowed me, but that element definitely made it resonate more.

Darling”

The acoustic, poetic vibe of this song was much more up my alley genre-wise. I love the beautiful lyrics with the calm, soothing guitar. Before it had even ended, I knew I would enjoy it. I especially love the creativity of the lyric, “I found it sweet / driving past a graveyard on a lonesome street / All the little flowers gave me something to believe in.” Although it initially seems a little gruesome, it is ultimately quite uplifting and optimistic. I found that it was a very empowering song and can’t wait to replay it to hear those amazing lyrics again.

1121”

I immediately began to like this song because it reminded me a lot of “The Tradition” from the very beginning of the album. This was the song that I found mixed the tones and genres found throughout the album and made them a cohesive package. The combination of the piano with the techno sounds and the echoing verses all created a song I really enjoyed and am excited to play on repeat.

honey”

I enjoyed the creative lyrics of this song but struggled to understand its meaning. Because of this, I was solely focused on deciphering the lyrics. Ultimately, they didn’t resonate with me, and this was another of the songs that didn’t really match my personal preferences in terms of genre.

Whispers”

I love the inner monologue narrated throughout the song. The storytelling aspect made it even more enjoyable for me and made the song feel very creative. I found myself hanging on to her every word and note, and I imagine this will continue as I play this song again and again.

I am not a woman, I’m a god”

The building of this song in dynamic and intensity made it super appealing to my ears and I quickly found myself nodding along with the beat. The contrast between the long notes in the lyrics and more staccato chorus made it resonate perfectly.

The Lighthouse”

I love the rock undertones within this song; it made me feel like a total bada*s as I rocked along with it. I also love the creative lyrics and the story they tell. Once again, I found myself bobbing my head as I listened as I was hung on to her every word wondering how the story would reveal itself.

As a whole, I thought this was an amazing album with a range of elements that made it resonate with me and probably many other listeners. I highly recommend you give this album a listen because it’s quite likely that at least one of these songs will be your new favorite.

Brianna Strohbehn is a junior at Winona State University and a small-town girl from central Iowa. Brianna is studying English, double majoring in writing and applied and professional writing with hopes of someday becoming an editor at a publishing firm. When she isn't writing, Brianna enjoys thrifting, reading, exploring her new home in Winona, and spending time with family and friends.