sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 of Your Favorite Childhood Halloween “Monstober” Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Don’t fall for the trick my friends; Halloween is right around the corner. If you’re like me you’ve probably been slacking on your spook-tacular festivities (haha, see what I did there). But there’s no need to fret because I’ve got us covered. Here are 10 childhood “Monstober” movie classics that you know and love, my treat to you.

1. Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus has got to be one of the best Halloween movies of all time. For starters, the plot alone is bait enough to get you to watch. The new kid in town, along with his little sister, team up with the popular girl from school (who he’s in love with) in hopes of stopping a coven of evil witches from sucking the souls of all the children in their town. Did I mention there’s a magical cat? Enough said.

2. Halloweentown (Series)

Halloweentown is a magical alternate universe where it’s Halloween everyday. Ghosts and goblins roam the streets and a sassy skeleton taxi driver named Benny takes people around town. Can you say every kid’s dream come true?

3. Twitches 1 & 2

Having a long-lost twin sister is probably my dream come true. Not only that but we’d have magical powers and be princesses from another dimension. Plus we’d live in a castle. I could do without the evil uncle trying to kill us, but hey, you can’t have it all.

4. Scream Team

It’s been awhile since I’ve watched this movie but I do remember liking it a lot. The story goes like this: a group of ghosts help two kids save their grandpa from an angry spirit that won’t let him rest in peace.

5. Don’t Look Under the Bed

An older sister must team up with her little brother’s imaginary friend Larry to defeat a boogeyman who’s terrorizing her community. I don’t get scared easily, not even back when I was younger, but this movie still sends a shiver down my spine. On another note, is it weird that I had a crush on an imaginary guy (Larry) growing up?

6. The Little Vampire

This movie isn’t really scary but it’s still a must-watch. Tony (the adorable little boy from Stuart Little) befriends a little vampire boy by the name of Rudolph, whose life along with the life of the entire vampire race is under attack. Tony must face his fears in order to save the life of his best friend.

7. Tim Burton’s: The Nightmare Before Christmas

Tim Burton, the grandfather of all things gothic and dark, is back at it again with his Halloween classic. The Nightmare Before Christmas follows the misfortune of Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of Halloween town. Jack’s in the need of a serious lifestyle makeover. He finds just what he’s looking for when he stumbles upon the town of . . . wait for it . . . Christmas town.

8.  Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire

Could you imagine your mom dating a vampire? That means no open blinds, a fridge full of blood bags and no tropical destination family vacations. So basically, it would suck (no pun intended). But this movie doesn’t, so you should give it a try if you haven’t seen it already.

9. Monster House What would you do if a haunted house was eating innocent trick-or-treaters? Run away and never return? Yeah, me too! But that’s not the case for three teens who make it their mission to destroy the house before Halloween night.

10. Haunted Mansion

Why go to Disneyland, Six Flags or Wisconsin Dells when you can stay in an abandoned creepy mansion? You’ll not only get dust and spider-infested cobwebs, but for the low price of a weekend’s stay you can get chased around and possessed by cursed ghosts.

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.