10 Artists I Want to See in James Corden’s ‘Carpool Karaoke’ Passenger Seat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Late night TV is one of my favorite things to watch: The Jimmys (Fallon and Kimmel), Seth Meyers and of course, James Corden. One of the show’s most popular skits is “Carpool Karaoke” where Corden belts it out with musical legends and current music icons alike. He’s had everyone from Katy Perry to Elton John; however, there are many artists that haven’t been featured and I’m about to harmonize on the reasons why he should.

1. Chance the Rapper: With his most recent album Coloring Book, Chance the Rapper has become the face of rap/R&B. His lyrics are thought-provoking and timely. It would be so cool for Corden and this Chicago native to go cruising down Lake Shore Drive and bust rhymes to “Juke Jam” – some might even call it a “Blessing.”

Songs to Sing: “No Problem (feat Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz),” “Angels,” “Same Drugs”

2. Fleetwood Mac: This group is iconic. They have sold more than 100 million records worldwide! Their bluesy rock vibes combined with Stevie Nicks’ indelible charm and fashion sense would make the episode full of fun. Plus, Corden and the band could bond over being British!

Songs to Sing: “Rhiannon,” “Landslide,” “Go Your Own Way”

3. Kesha: Her new album is a smashing success and she is inspirational to so many. She is energetic, self-assured and I’m “Praying” this episode happens soon because her album has been on my shuffle repeat since it came out in August.

Songs to Sing: “We R Who We Are,” “Learn and Let Go,” “Praying,” “Hymn”

4.   Dierks Bentley: I sat 2 feet from the stage at Bentley’s “What the Hell” tour this summer and he’s an incredible performer. He’s charismatic and is also a fan of music sketch comedy. His bandmates accompany him in performing as a pseudo-bluegrass band called The Bolo Brothers, where they don fake mustaches, mutton chops, and bedazzled belt buckles bigger than my head. Bonus content: here’s a picture illustrating how close I was to Dierks – this could be you too Corden! Call his agent!

Songs to Sing: “Drunk on a Plane,” “What the Hell Did I Say,” “Free and Easy”

5. Aly and AJ: My inner ten-year-old self would fangirl so hard if this dynamic sibling music duo was on the show. The girls have grown up a lot since their debut in Disney Channel’s Original Movie Cow Belles, but they’re still killing the music scene with a catchy hit called “Take Me.” The music video is a cinematic masterpiece and I can just imagine Corden wearing a Michalka-esque wig while jamming out.

Songs to Sing: “Potential Breakup Song,” “Like Whoa,” “Rush”

6. DNCE: While the Jonas Brothers have been disbanded for quite some time, Joe has found solo success as the lead vocalist in his band, DNCE. Jack Lawless, the drummer of DNCE, is the same one from the Jo Bros – aw!  “Cake by the Ocean” was synonymous with summertime 2016 and continues to be a jam (it’s also now stuck in my head)! The band finds a muse in Prince, James Brown, and the Bee Gees, so their lyrics are a pop-funk fusion of fun.

Songs to Sing: “Toothbrush,” “Cake by the Ocean,” “Body Moves”

7. Khalid: His teenage anthem “Young, Dumb, and Broke” has become a staple in party playlists, and he is fastly claiming his “Location” at the top of the charts. He is only nineteen and has performed on Kimmel! He gets his musical inspiration from other rappers like Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean and Chance the Rapper (I’m sensing the making of an epic crossover episode).

Songs to Sing: “Location,” “8TEEN,” “American Teen,” “Therapy”

8. The Voice judges: Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, and Miley Cyrus are all superstar judges on the show, but this season they added Jennifer Hudson. Yep – THE JHud. You know, the one who brings people to tears with her pipes as Effie in the movie Dreamgirls (or is that just me?). This panel would provide many hits to perform and if you’ve ever watched The Voice, some of the funniest moments ensue with Adam’s jabs at his country comrade Shelton. They’re one big happy group of artists with an abundance of talent – jackpot!

Songs to Sing: ‘We Can’t Stop” (Cyrus), “Name the Dogs” (Shelton), “Sunday Morning” (Levine), “I Got This” (Hudson)

9. Taylor Swift: The old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, cause she’s dead… But I really hope she’d pick up the phone for the James Corden show if he called. There is hardly a circumstance in my life that I couldn’t find a throwback Swift song to relate to, and her new stuff is growing on me as a diehard Swiftie. Whatever your take on Tay is, she remains “Fearless” when it comes to her musical endeavors.

Songs to Sing: “Look What You Made Me Do,” “You Belong with Me,” “Picture to Burn”

10. Darius Rucker: His ‘Good for a Good Time’ tour remained true to its title when I saw him in 2016. Rucker’s most popular ballads include songs like “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It” and “Wagon Wheel” but he’s been writing hits for as long as he’s been in the business. This episode would be “History in the Making”! He is also currently in the midst of writing a new album entitled When Was the Last Time with the first single having the same title (it comes out October 20, 2017 – feel free to preorder like I did).

Songs to Sing: “Wagon Wheel,” “Homegrown Honey”

The best part of any car ride is singing along to the radio, so why not do it with one of these killer karaoke partners? I’ve sang the hook, chorus, and encore about these artists, so it’s up to you now, Corden!

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.