Which Podcasts Are Worth Listening To?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

My dad introduced me to podcasts years ago in our hours long drives to many, many volleyball tournaments. His faves, anything science/tech related, especially the MIT lectures (woohoo learning!). Since those days, I’ve been hooked! Podcasts are perfect to drive to, run to, or even just lay back and listen to. There are so many awesome, unique, and creative talks that you would never have even thought of. Here are a few of my favorites…

1. The Moth Radio Hour

The Moth Radio Hour re-airs true stories told live by storytellers. They have live events all across the country where people compete to tell the best story.  They will make you smile and laugh, make you in shock, and maybe even make you cry.  These are some of the most amazing stories that I have ever heard, from funny to serious, they are quality life stories that are definitely worth a listen.

2. Sci Fri

As they say on their website, “Covering the outer reaches of space to the tiniest microbes in our bodies, Science Friday is the source for entertaining and educational stories about science, technology, and other cool stuff.”  Maybe I’m biased as a science nerd, but you learn some pretty cool stuff from this podcast!  Top scientists are reminding podcast listeners just how fun it is to learn something new.

3. Serial

Many have heard of this now-famous podcast where the host, Sarah Koenig, tells one story over the course of a season.  Each season follows a plot and characters, generally having to do with a court conviction.  It allows for discussion and pondering of who is in the right and who is telling the truth.  For those who love a mystery, this one’s for you.

4. NPR’s Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me

This weekly hour-long quiz program hosted by the National Public Radio tests your knowledge against some of the best and brightest in the news and entertainment world while figuring out what’s real news and what’s made up. The hosts are quick and witty and make for an interesting podcast to follow along with.

5. She Explores

This is a new podcast that I’ve recently discovered and goes out to all you #wanderlust gals. I know I’ve caught the disease and it seems to be very infectious!  She Explores is a podcast for women who are inspired by time spent outside.  Quote “Whether it’s the act of lacing up our boots, the fresh air in our lungs, or the panorama of landscape – it inspires us to create and tell stories”.  You can learn about conquering your fears, inspiring stories of travel, and more.

Natalie is a first-year at Williams College. She is on the varsity volleyball team and considering majoring in chemistry or biology as she pursues the Pre-Med track. She enjoys hiking and skiing in her free time.
Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.