Waffles: The Secret Way To Whip Up A Bae

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Ever wondered why everyone seems to have a significant other as soon as the world turns into a Winter Wonderland? Is last night’s person-of-interest bored at brunch? Clearly, something is missing to add a little spice to your current or potential relationship. The secret ingredient? A spectacular breakfast essential that can be concocted at any dining hall and is sure to impress others through your (easy) culinary skills (hacks). Friends, I have just described to you the power of WAFFLES! (Furthermore, if you aren’t interested in tying the knot this season, you might just find yourself enjoying with these fun twists on your childhood favorite! After all, who doesn’t love a sugary treat when (baby) it’s cold outside!)

1. Lucky Strike: Crush Lucky Charms Cereal in a bowl until powdery or a slightly less-chunky consistency. Mix in a disposable cup the Cereal and your waffle batter and voila, you’re tasting the rainbow! (This may also work with Fruit Loops, although specialists have not yet offered their opinion on the matter. Feeling adventurous? Maybe your partner is too —try it out!)
  2. FUN-Fetti For Breaky: This is for the sweet tooth extremist (it also requires for a little more planning ahead since the Dining Hall is not equipped with all the ingredients). Buy some Funfetti Cake Mix Batter and follow the box recipe. Pour into waffle maker. Take a deep breath of wonderfulness. Wait until it is done and plate with some whipped cream and sprinkles.
  3. Scrumptiously Stuffed: The three words you’ve been waiting for…. Nutella Stuffed Waffles! There are two ways to approach this delight, depending on skill level and confidence. The first is simple, roll out some Pillsbury Dough and generously dollop Nutella in the middle. Fold over (like a taco), sealing the Nutella in the dough before placing on a Waffle Iron and clamping down. Another way to do this is to pour waffle mix into the Waffle Iron and wait half a minute while the batter cooks (leaving the Waffle Iron open so that the top of the waffle remains uncooked). Then, place Nutella on top of the waffle (taking care not to overflow or occupy too much space with the Nutella). Pour (cautiously) waffle mix on top (of the Nutella) and close the Waffle Iron. Once your waffle has baked, watch as gooey goodness pours from within.
  4. Livin’ La Vida Loca-dilla: If you haven’t been doing this yet, you’re doing college wrong. Take a tortilla, fill it with all your favorite quesadilla toppings (and lots of cheese, of course) and place another tortilla on top. Close the Waffle Iron. Prepare to be amazed with this savory specialty.
  5. Wazzi (A College Staple): Waffles and pizza just had a child and yes, it is as good as it sounds! Place last night’s cold pizza in the waffle maker, (make sure to butter the Waffle Iron well so that it doesn’t make a mess —or place two pizzas in the Waffle Iron simultaneously with the crusts facing outwards!) and dig right in. Oh yes we did.

These combinations are endless and I highly encourage risk taking and imagination in your waffle-making: try tater tots, pumpkin pie, and cinnamon rolls perhaps! Cuffing season is bound to be a (dining hall) blast!

Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.