This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

If you’ve spent any time at all on TikTok recently, you’re probably aware of the “salmon rice” that’s all the craze right now. It’s garnered millions of likes, comments, and views over less than a month.  It’s not surprising to see a remake or new rendition of vlogger Emily Mariko’s creative leftover meal pop up on your feed. Something about the novelty of eating your broken-down sushi as you wrap it seems to have taken the Internet by storm. So, how does this dish work?

First, you get your leftover (or newly made, completely up to you) salmon fillet, and break it up with a fork. Then, you pour your leftover rice (brown, white, barley, or whatever’s in your fridge) on top of the salmon. Next, you put an ice cube on top of the leftover rice and cover it all with parchment paper, before microwaving it for a few minutes. This is the most interesting part to me. Apparently, adding the ice cube in this way produces steam to ensure that the day-old rice stays sticky and delicious. After heating up the dish, you generously add Kewpie mayo (Japanese mayo, or just mayo but with only egg yolks) and Sriracha, along with a drizzle of soy sauce, over the rice. Then, mix it all together, top it with some avocado, wrap your bite with some roasted, lightly salted seaweed, and you’re good to go! 

The best part of this dish is that it’s completely adaptable. If you don’t have Kewpie mayo, you can use regular mayo, and if you want to remove or add extra sauces, there’s absolutely no judgment. Emily likes to eat hers with a side of kimchi and some yellow pickled radish. As college students, it’s probably hard to find much of anything leftover in your micro-fridge. So, next time the dining hall serves rice and salmon, take some to your dorm, get some seaweed, and try it out yourself!

Annabelle Kim

Williams '24

Hi! I'm Annabelle Kim, and I'm from NYC. I'm a senior at Williams majoring in Sociology, concentrating in STS. I'm a huge foodie and wellness advocate.