The Post Election Climate Here At Williams College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Despite the devastating results of the 2016 election for women, racial minorities, liberals, and the likes, I am so grateful to have been on a college campus, specifically Williams, for this unique, divisive political experience.  The night of November 8th I sat in my dorm room in shock.  Attempting to multitask by studying while watching the election results come in, I repeatedly refreshed the results page waiting for the red majority to finally turn into a blue majority.

Like the majority of educated, rational Americans, it had never crossed my mind of a Trump victory.  In my Intro to International Relations class that day, we had had a mock political debate and many found it difficult to take Trump’s foreign policy beliefs seriously.  For months, my IR professor had been proclaiming that Clinton would win in a landslide.  No one, except of course those who voted for Trump, believed our country would succumb to such racist and misogynistic views.  Since the reality of the horrifying results of this crazy election has set in, Williams College has provided countless resources for students to discuss their emotions, thoughts, and feelings.

Past Events:

You are Not Alone – a night of support and empathy for Williams students facing challenges to their psychological, emotional, and social well-being. Three students spoke, followed by an open mic.  Organized by the Mental Health Committee.

Open College Council Meeting w/ V.P. Klass and Dean Sandstrom – Dean Sandstrom and V.P. Klass came to the meeting to answer any questions, ideas or concerns in light of recent events.

Trump and the Middle East-   Talk by Professor Michael Macdonald on President-Elect Donald Trump’s Middle East policies.

Jennifer Granholm and Scott Brown Discuss Election 2016, Post Mortem: What’s Next?- Jennifer Granholm, former Democratic governor of Michigan, and Scott Brown, former Republican senator from Massachusetts, talked about the 2016 Presidential Election, “Post Mortem: What’s Next?”.

Protest march through Williamstown – Hundreds turned out to demonstrate their support for minorities and immigrants in the wake of the election.

Upcoming Events:

Speakfree: Fall Show (Fri, Nov. 18th 7:30 Goodrich) – Hosted by Williams College SpeakFree, their first spoken word show of the year aims to mourn and rage and brave the past week, our bodies against the world. Help support your friends as we lift each other up, as we make art & eat good food & laugh & cry.

Mobilization for #SanctuaryCampus @Williams (Nov. 16 – 18) – Students across the country are demanding that their colleges become sanctuary campuses, promising to shelter students from the violence of detention, deportation and other unjust federal immigration policies that may come from the Trump administration. They are demanding sanctuary campuses for our most vulnerable community members.

Other Resources:

• Peer Health (Call-In-Walk-In hours Sun-Thurs from 7-10pm in Paresky 212)

• Campus Safety (available 24/7 at 413-597-4444 and can direct you to other resources)

• Davis Center

• Chaplains

• Deans

• Psych Services

• Office of Student Life

• Student Groups/Peers

Natalie is a first-year at Williams College. She is on the varsity volleyball team and considering majoring in chemistry or biology as she pursues the Pre-Med track. She enjoys hiking and skiing in her free time.
Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.