Life > Experiences

Perks of Being Best Friends with an Influencer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

One of my best friends and teammates is an Instagram influencer. Although influencers get a bad rep sometimes, I happen to think there are many perks to being best friends with an influencer. I have listed a few here! 

1. I always have great pictures from events and fun days.

Sometimes, I might not feel like taking pictures when we go to a restaurant or park. But after the fact, I’m always so grateful that I have amazing pictures to capture fun memories. This summer, we lived together in New York City. I have a whole album of great pictures of all the fun things we did that I love to look back on. 

1. She has great taste in clothes and lets me borrow them all the time. 

She has excellent fashion taste, and her wardrobe is full of trendy clothes. Lucky for me, we are the same size! Most of the time, at least one thing I’m wearing is from her closet. 

1. She lets me do unboxings with her. 

Unboxing is actually very fun. It’s so exciting when she gets free things in the mail and we open them together. It’s also funny to hear her narrate the unboxing in her “influencer voice.” 

1. She gets free stuff and great deals – and she shares them with me! 

Not only do I get to unbox the products with her, but she also shares a lot of it with me. She gets all sorts of free products, from makeup to jewelry to bathing suits. In the past, she’s given me a bracelet and face moisturizer! She also gets amazing deals on certain brands, and she lets me use her codes sometimes. I’ve gotten really high quality bathing suits at great prices.  

1. She does my makeup all the time. 

This is not to say that every influencer is great at makeup but mine is. I am hopeless when it comes to makeup, so this comes in very handy. She is especially good at winged eyeliner. 

1. She gets us into bars and clubs.  

She has access to an extended social network beyond the people we know from school, work, and volleyball. Because of this, she is always getting invited to all kinds of events and parties that she brings me to! 

1. She edits all my pictures that come out badly so I can post them. 

This perk is not to be underestimated. It’s so frustrating when you have a great picture that you want to post, but you have deodorant on your shirt or the lighting is off. My friend knows how to fix all of these things so the picture looks perfect to post! 

1. She tells me to have confidence and be a #girlboss 

Being an influencer often gets you a lot of hate and negative comments. Because of this, my friend has had to learn to be confident in what she loves to do no matter what others might say. She always encourages me to do the same. In her words, “You can limit yourself and post what you think people will like, or you can make yourself happy and post what you love. People are going to put you down either way. So you might as well do what makes you happy. I try to apply this to my life outside of social media as well. Basically, I just try to girl boss as close to the sun as possible.”

These are just some of the reasons why I love being friends with an influencer. I encourage all of you to go find yourself an influencer bestie! Just be ready to take lots of pictures. 

My name is Allison Frison, and I'm a senior at Williams College. I'm the editor for the Williams chapter of Her Campus and am interested in writing about life on campus and current events. I play volleyball and am majoring in English and Political Science.