Imposter Syndrome: What It Is and How to Beat It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

(Image courtesy of http://m.c.lnkd.licdn.com)

Williams is full of brilliant, accomplished people, and that includes you. However, sometimes students may feel as though they’re not as brilliant or accomplished as everyone else– like they don’t belong, like they shouldn’t even be here, like they’re somehow not good enough. This is imposter syndrome: the nagging doubt in the back of your mind that tells you that you’re not special enough to be here and that there must have been some mistake when they let you in.

Imposter syndrome is especially common among first-years, who have just come from high schools at which they were the cream of the crop and are now adjusting to a college at which every student was a top-tier scholar in their high school days. Because of the transition from being deemed above average to being just as smart and successful as everyone else, it’s easy to feel like a sham or like you’re not all you’re cracked up to be.  What you once believed put you above the rest is now a common trait, and from there it’s not hard to fall into the trap of self-doubt.

Another factor in imposter syndrome is the myth of effortless perfection. It can seem as though everyone else has their lives together and everything going for them without breaking a sweat while you’re staying up until 2 AM working on those problem sets and struggling to break five pages on that paper. This is simply not true. Everyone is working hard, and nobody is as put-together as they may seem. In fact, some people may be looking at you and wishing they had it so good. Even when you know this, however, it’s hard not to compare yourself to the flawless veneers of those around you and come back with an unfavorable result.

When the transition to being surrounded by excellence is combined with the myth of effortless perfection, how can you keep yourself out of the mire? First, remember that you are just as brilliant and accomplished as everyone else here (that’s why you got in) and have just as much reason to be here as any other “effortlessly perfect” student. Second, find your niche. Join or start a club, write something other than your classwork, make art, get involved in activism, do some community service, get a hobby—do something that you love. When you’re doing something that sets you apart, makes a difference, or just plain makes you happy, you’re less likely to sink into self-doubt. College is the time when we create our adult selves, so think about who you want to be and make it happen.  Third, believe in yourself. It’s kitschy but it’s a huge part of beating imposter syndrome. You are an extraordinary person with so much to contribute to the Williams community and to the world, and you can become absolutely anyone you want to be. Go get ‘em, Eph.

Lipstick enthusiast from Dallas, Texas. Hobbies include knitting, procrastination, and not getting enough sleep. Interests include feminism, politics, and oversized sweaters. Possible majors include Russian, art history, and international relations. Williams College class of 2019.
Michella is a senior at Williams College, majoring in Political Science. When she's not reading up on political theories, you'll catch Michella singing with her a capella group on campus or helping folks out at the front desk in the science library.