How to be Environmentally Conscious at Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Whether you like it or not, climate change is real and urgent. As humans, we have played a significant role in expediting this change through the production of greenhouse gases that deplete the ozone layer. Nobody is safe from the effects of climate change, so it is every individual’s duty to modify their habits to reverse this effect that we have created, no matter how small the action may seem. Williams College has implemented some changes to help facilitate awareness of climate change and waste, such as providing compostable silverware and tableware, distributing reusable water bottles to freshmen, and getting rid of single-use plastic water bottles. Below are some ways to further stay conscious of your actions and the effects they may have on our planet.

1. Reuse/compost/recycle when you can

Although the school provides compostable materials, it doesn’t beat using silverware and reusing it. However, if you’re in a situation in which you are forced to use compostable materials, try your best to compost them instead of throwing them in the trash because they can only compost if they are in the correct environment. Williams offers compost disposal sites at every dining hall, including Eco Cafe. Remember: food is compostable too! When purchasing goods, always be conscious of its packaging. Try your best to avoid single-use plastics and always choose the option with the least amount of packaging. And then recycle the packaging if you can! (There are different types of materials that can or cannot be recycled, so please do your research! Did you know that pizza boxes with grease can’t be recycled?)

1. Reduce your meat intake

It might be hard for the meat-lovers out there, but we can’t ignore the fact that the meat and dairy industry is a huge contributor to water use and methane production. We need companies to know that meat (and other animal products) is no longer in as high of a demand as it used to be. Your change in diet doesn’t have to be dramatic, but if you can dedicate at least a day of not consuming meat and/or dairy, you will have an impact. Bring your friends and family into it to make it fun and to create an even more significant change! There are tons of vegetarian and vegan recipes that are delicious and maybe even better than their omnivorous counterparts. With that being said, check out Driscoll’s Meatless Mondays! They have great options to offer every week.

1. Carpool or use public transit whenever possible

We all know Williams is in the middle of nowhere, so you basically need a car to buy groceries and explore the area. While that may be true, don’t be so quick to reserve that Zipcar or hop in your car. If you’re lucky enough to have a car on campus or have a Zipcar membership, check in with other people (such as your friends, your entry, your neighbors, etc.) to see if you can carpool. If you don’t have a car like most people on campus, take advantage of Williams’s free local shuttles! The Berkshire Regional Transit Authority (BRTA) offers free shuttles around the Berkshires for students, as long as you show your Williams ID. Another option would be borrowing a bike (check the Purple Bike Coalition!).

1. Do it in the dark

You see these stickers on many light switches, but what do they mean? If you don’t need the light on to go about what you need to do, don’t use the light and take advantage of the natural light or even your phone flashlight! Or simply just don’t keep the light on when you’re done using it.

1. Be conservative with your water

By saving water, we can reduce the energy necessary to further process and purify more water. So take shorter showers, turn off the water faucet when it’s not in use, and re-wear clothes if they’re not too dirty (or take full advantage of the washers and the capacity they can withstand).