This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Growing up, I was an avid reader of all books. I would bring a book with me everywhere – from meals to car rides and to the rink. I fell in love with literature and started collecting quotes from books that have struck me throughout the years. They are a reminder of everything in between all the good and the bad moments, the happy and sad. So here are a few of my favorite quotes from my collection.

“After a certain age, we are all walking around this world in bodies made of secrets and shame and sorrow and old, unhealed injuries. Our hearts grow sore and misshapen around all this pain — yet somehow, still, we carry on.” (Elizabeth Gilbert, City of Girls: A Novel)

“Respect exists only on the basis of freedom: ‘“l’amour est l’enfant de la liberté’” as an old French song says; love is the child of freedom, never that of domination.” (Eric Fromm, The Art of Loving)

“All we have to decide is what to do with all the time that is given us.” (J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring)

“To love means to commit oneself without guarantee, to give oneself completely in the hope that our love will produce love in the loved person. Love is an act of faith, and whoever is of little faith is also of little love.” (Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving)

“We’re always living in days we can never get back. So we make new ones. That’s all.” (Sharon Cameron, The Light in Hidden Places)

Having your own collection of words is a beautiful thing, and I encourage you to keep a little saying or phrase close to your hearts and share with the world around you! Pass on your favorite quotes and continue to listen, read, learn, and feel. 

Hi guys! My name is Clarissa (or CC for short) and I am class of 2022 at Williams. I am a member of the Women's Ice Hockey team and I am a Psychology major with a Neuroscience concentration & French certificate. Hope my articles make you smile :)
Ellia Chiang

Williams '25

Hi! My name is Ellia and I am class of 2025 at Williams. I am on the Women's Hockey team and a Chemistry major. I enjoy traveling, going on walks, and reading.